Looking for a soldier - my great-grandfather

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
RenataEr

Looking for a soldier - my great-grandfather

Post by RenataEr » 18 Oct 2023 16:21

Good morning everyone! This is my first post here. My name is Renata, I am Polish, and many of my relatives participated in both World War I and World War II.
As I have exhausted most of the possibilities, I decided to write here, because maybe one of you will be able to help or give me some clues.
I'm having trouble finding any information about my great-grandfather.
Name and surname: Stanisław Galos
Date of birth: August 16, 1878
Place of birth: Rączna 83, near Krakow, south of the country, Lesser Poland Voivodeship, Poland (between 1795-1918 it was Austrian Galicia as Poland was under partition).
Date of death: January 27, 1921
Cause of death: tuberculosis / whooping cough / pneumonia
War: World War I Army: Imperial, Austro-Hungarian
Purported function: Lieutenant (I am not sure about that)
War zone: some family members claim that our great-grandfather fought in Montenegro, others that in Albania; in any case, the areas of today's Balkans
I have already written to the National Archives in Krakow and Vienna, but unfortunately they found nothing about my great-grandfather. The Central War Archives in Poland also does not have any.
If not about him, I would like to find out more about the unit in which he fought? I don't know what it was though.

I would be grateful for any help and information.

Regards

Renata

Ken S.

Re: Looking for a soldier - my great-grandfather

Post by Ken S. » 20 Nov 2023 00:52

The best I can offer is that there was a Johann Galos from Rączna who was born in 1879 and who was wounded while serving with Landsturm Infanterie Regiment Nr. 32. Could he be a brother? Your great-grandfather may have served with the same regiment if he was just a year older.

https://des.genealogy.net/search/show/19458527

Return to “First World War”