Ypres

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
G-man

Ypres

Post by G-man » 03 Jan 2004, 15:52

Hi all.

3 battles were fought at Ypres I believe.

The first in 1914
The second in 1915
And the third in 1917.

Who won these battles, were they descisive victories, is it correct that the 1915 Ypres battle saw gas used for the first time?

Finally, how do you pronounce Ypres?

Thanks

dead-cat

Post by dead-cat » 03 Jan 2004, 21:21

actually for the first time gas (a mix of xylyl and xylenbromide) was used on the eastern front(Bolymow) on jan. 31 1915. the effect wasn't noticable because the condensation of the filling didn't happen sufficiently due to low temperature.

alf

Post by alf » 03 Jan 2004, 23:44

The first two were German assaults (so British defensive battles), they can be considered British defensive victories as the German forces did not break through completely.

1917, there were a series of British assaults in the Ypres salient, Messines Ridge, Menin Road, Polygon Wood, all important tactical British victories (now forgotten) under General Plumer. He was replaced by Haig with General Gough, that assualt became the Battle of Passchendale, a British victory of sorts (at a huge cost to the British Army). The Canadians eventually took the destroyed village of Passchendale, after the British and ANZACS bleed to death in the mud.

In March 1918, just 4 months later, during the German offensive the British abandoned all the gains made at Passchandale and the preceding 3 years. In August they advanced in less than a day again through the entire battlefield.

My grandfather fought there, I have his leters home from the battle.

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 04 Jan 2004, 01:44

G-man -- You asked:
Finally, how do you pronounce Ypres?
The French and Belgians pronounce the name of the town "Ee-pray." I understand that in Great Britain and the Empire the town's name was commonly pronounced "Wipers."

Here is a painting by W.B. Wollen, which appeared over the caption "Canadians in the fierce fight at Ypres," at p. 32 of Willis J. Abbot's The Nations at War (The 1918 Edition), Leslie-Judge Co., New York: 1917:[/quote]
Attachments
Canadians at Ypres 2.jpg
Canadians at Ypres 2.jpg (130.39 KiB) Viewed 6761 times

Benoit Douville

Post by Benoit Douville » 05 Jan 2004, 03:41

That is a wonderful painting David, I really appreciated that you posted it.

Regards

Wm. Harris

Post by Wm. Harris » 07 Jan 2004, 05:01

We have a street named for Ypres in my home town and it is always pronounced just as David Thompson said: "Ee-pray." However, when I took a history of WW1 class in university, the professor pronounced it "Eep," with only a very slight rolling "R" at the end.

Luckily it's a word that doesn't get much use in everyday conversation. :?

Here's another painting of the 2nd battle. The Canadian Division's stand against German chemical weapons in 1915 -- either out of courage or inexperience in battle -- quickly gained a kind of legendary status in this country. For a long time, the image of "our boys" holding out against the odds was a point of pride for Canadians.

http://www.civilization.ca/cwm/canvas/tre/cwc104e.html
Attachments
ypres painting.jpg
ypres painting.jpg (69.53 KiB) Viewed 6706 times

Tom Niefer

Post by Tom Niefer » 12 Jan 2004, 19:56

My ex-wife's Grandfather fought at Ypres. He was gassed and got TB in his spine as a result of a bullet wound and the filth of the trenchs. He did, however, live to be 86 years old. The 1915 battle was definately one of my country's finest hours.

A short article about the Canucks at Ypres.
http://canwar.ca/Canada%20At%20War/WWI/Ypres.htm

Cheers,
Tom

Dunkirchen1940

Post by Dunkirchen1940 » 13 Jan 2004, 22:29

I heard that Hitler fought at Ypres battles 1 and 3.
Is this correct?
Karl

Daryl Leeworthy

Post by Daryl Leeworthy » 13 Jan 2004, 23:35

I may be wrong but "ee-pray" may not be the correct pronounciation for Ypres, which I always believed to be ee-prh because there is no accute accent on the 'e'.

I'm not sure about Hitler and he didn't really fight where-ever he was station he was a messenger if I remember.

Tom Niefer

Post by Tom Niefer » 13 Jan 2004, 23:43

Daryl Leeworthy wrote:I may be wrong but "ee-pray" may not be the correct pronounciation for Ypres, which I always believed to be ee-prh because there is no accute accent on the 'e'.

I'm not sure about Hitler and he didn't really fight where-ever he was station he was a messenger if I remember.
Benoit, can you tell us what the correct pronunciation for Ypres is?

Cheers,
Tom

Daryl Leeworthy

Post by Daryl Leeworthy » 13 Jan 2004, 23:50

Well that is a reproduction of what the French Assistante taught me last year - I talked to her about ithe war both there and in Arras. That's how she pronounced it. She was from Brittany - I guess it depends on accent?

R-Bob The Great!

Post by R-Bob The Great! » 14 Jan 2004, 06:12

The Canadian TV series on the Canadians in World War 1 "For King and Empire" pronounced it as yeep except with a slightly more i sounding e.

Lord Gort

Post by Lord Gort » 14 Jan 2004, 21:58

I know I have probably said it before but I have had the good luck of visitng the Flanders battle fields and indeed Ypres (eeps according to our guides) and was impresed by the beauty of the city and level of restoration to the town buildings. Especially after being shown a mdel of the ruins as well as photo's. I can recommend a nice little Choclatier in the main square and a very good cafe.

However, despite this delightful experience, I cannot help in thinking that perhaps Churchill was right in recomending the ruins remain as a remidner for all time of the brutality and destruction of the war.

regards,

Tom Niefer

Post by Tom Niefer » 15 Jan 2004, 03:40

Lord Gort wrote:I know I have probably said it before but I have had the good luck of visitng the Flanders battle fields and indeed Ypres (eeps according to our guides) and was impresed by the beauty of the city and level of restoration to the town buildings. Especially after being shown a mdel of the ruins as well as photo's. I can recommend a nice little Choclatier in the main square and a very good cafe.

However, despite this delightful experience, I cannot help in thinking that perhaps Churchill was right in recomending the ruins remain as a remidner for all time of the brutality and destruction of the war.
regards,
Lord G., most of the veterans of WWII I've talked to all comment on the level of destruction they witnessed and how they would never forget the impact it had on them. Maybe Churchill had a good idea. It seems every generation has forgotten the lessons learned by the previous generation.

Cheers,
Tom

John W

Post by John W » 15 Jan 2004, 09:33

Tom Niefer wrote:It seems every generation has forgotten the lessons learned by the previous generation.

Cheers,
Tom
Haven't you noticed, that it is almost ALWAYS a member of the previous generation that leads the present into a new set of blunders and horrors not all to different from what they experienced themselves?

I always thought it was pronouned "Ee-pres" (with a slight acute accent on the e in"pres" )

Return to “First World War”