Gallipoli Wars

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
Can Balcioglu

Post by Can Balcioglu » 02 Jan 2006 11:14

All right it seems like its time for the Gallipoli Expert to move in. Step aside ladies, the gentelman of this house is coming.

Just wait for me to get my books and works together and then I'll start shootin' :D:D:D

Kaan Plagirism is so bad

the plummed goose

Post by the plummed goose » 10 Jul 2006 21:36

Dear All,

Have come across this forum tonight by chance and result ... a new member ...

The reason why I am posting my first "reply" here has of course to do with my interest for Gallipoli but even more important the person who made this tread so highly visited .... Jul Snelders.

Jul, a fellow Belgian also interested in Gallipoli, posted a rather agry reply as indeed all info is from his website, which is certainly worth a visit (or two). The reason why Jul -with whom I was actually in Ieper around that date- did not continue any further was that he was diagnosed with lungcancer in mid March 2005. He wanted to keep it to himself and started loosing interest even in Gallipoli.

After a long and difficult battle (of his own) Jul died two days ago ...

I know this is not the most pleasant of "welcome to the forum" statements but I just felt I had to say this.

eric

Matt

Post by Matt » 13 Jul 2006 11:11

sad news - r.i.p.

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » 19 Jul 2006 12:28

May Jul rest in peace.
So mote it be!

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » 31 Aug 2006 15:39

Matt wrote:My grandfather bought back some souveniers from Gallipoli.

The daggar is Turkish, and still has blood on the blade.

The button is from a Turkish uniform.
The inscription reads
'GAFFAR EL MENOUFIEH'
- I asked the guide when I was at Gallipoli if he knew what it meant. He did not recognise the name, and thought perhaps an officer may have had personalised buttons.
KaaN do you recognise that or know what it means?

Regards.
Matt.

Sorry Matt I don't want to disappoint you but thre button that your grandpa brought back is not from Gallipoli. It is not Turkish. It is Egyptian. He got it from Egypt. Gaffar is some of the 99 names of Allah means forgiver, Allah the Forgiver. We use it also in Turkey. The other word is also arabic. We dont use. It must be also one of the names of Allah. Please also note that there is a province in North Egypt called Menoufieh.

Matt

Post by Matt » 03 Sep 2006 11:48

Thanks for the information Tosul, I have been trying to find out about the button for many years.
I never knew my grandfather, his brother gave me the button and said it came from a uniform.
Looks like embellished the story a little!
Regarding the knife, I was on another site where a German WW1 dagger was shown, and it was
almost identical to the one I have.
Perhaps the Germans supplied materiel to the Turks?

Regards
Matt

_das_reich

Re: Gallipoli Wars

Post by _das_reich » 10 Feb 2009 08:44

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction or be able to post a decently sized picture of the badge worn on the Australian Officer service caps during the Gallipoli campaign?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tristan

princeliberty10311517

Post by princeliberty10311517 » 17 Jun 2009 17:05

What port did the British fleet operate out of when they launced the naval only attack?

Thanks.

gilly100

Post by gilly100 » 02 Nov 2009 03:30

Hello All

My name is Ian Gill. I am originally from Perth, Australia, but now reside in Bali, Indonesia. I am currently writing with a friend a book on the 10th Light Horse Regiment, AIF who fought dismounted as infantry at Gallipoli. I am writing the Gallipoli operations and wish to consult with anyone who can accurately tell me what Turkish Regiments fought against the 10th Light Horse, so I can place the info in the narrative, giving a balance to the book and recognising the hard fighting Ottoman forces who won the campaign.

In particular, the 10th LH mounted a local sortie form Quinn's Post on two mine craters near Turkish Quinn's that the Turks had occupied and strengthened. The raid took place in daylight at 1.05pm on 30th May 1915 and was led by Lts Kidd and Colpitts in 2 parties. I would love to know who the opposing Turkish regiment/s were. I know who for the 7th August charge at The Nek, but also wish to confirm accurately with proven Turkish references for chapter notes, what regiments opposed the 10th LH at Hill 60 in the early hours of 29th August 1915 (1am). There appears to be some inaccuracy in dates and times in this hand to hand battle which went thru into 30th August and beyond at varying degrees of intensity. Hugo Throssell won the Victoria Cross and 5 of his men the DCM. Stanley, Renton, Mcnee, Henderson and 1 other I fail to remember at present with no notes in front of me.

My internet/email service here is very slow and sometimes no signal so please be patient. Steve Becker has been assisting me with this quest and is on this site.

My email is

igiangill@gmail.com

Cheers all

Ian
Bali

Dolmetscher04

Re: "Gallipoli Gallops"

Post by Dolmetscher04 » 20 Nov 2009 10:40

Kaan Caglar wrote:Until then:
Lets see what Alan Moorehead says about casulties:
Losses
Turkish
Dead: 55.127
Wounded: 100.177
Died of disease: 10.067
Sent back home because of sickness: 64.440

In total: 251.309
Best Regards
Kaan
Question to anyone:

Does anyone know anything specific about the disease and sickness referred to above?

I ask because we've all heard or read about the acute dysentery suffered by Allied troops, which is said to have affected up to three quarters of the force. And it seems common-sense that the Turks must have suffered from it too. Yet I can't remember reading of them ever complaining of it

Can anyone shed any light?

Dolmetscher04

Re: RIP Jul Snelders

Post by Dolmetscher04 » 20 Nov 2009 10:45

I too would like to express my respect for Jul Snelders

RIP Jul

muvatalli

Post by muvatalli » 17 Mar 2010 17:30

dear kaan
Wilmer wasnt pasha.He was major

hargallipoli

Post by hargallipoli » 14 Jan 2011 11:37

Gallipoli & Anzac was our first visit to troy and we spent great time. We took two full day tours in gallipoli and troy and I would like to say that the tours were very impressive. We are definitely satisfied by the arrangements http://www.toursingallipoli.com Both guides for troy and anzac were very informative and professional. The places where were visited amazing. It was a great trip, very enjoyable. We highly recommend. Thank you very much.

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » 18 Mar 2012 17:58

An article of mine about Austria-Hungarian Artillery Battary that fought at Gallipoli published in the last issue of the Magazine Çanakkale 1915.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » 18 Mar 2012 18:12

My dear and distinquished friend Mr. Demir Erman wrote a two language (Turkish and English) book about Gallipoli Star or as Turkish Harb Madalyası. The book is a rare axamble of its kind gives useful information about the star and pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “First World War”