An interesting thing regarding Bulgarias siding with Germany

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
Gwynn Compton

An interesting thing regarding Bulgarias siding with Germany

Post by Gwynn Compton » 01 Sep 2002 12:18

From John Keegan's "The First World War"
Gallipoli, though it succeeded eventually in attracting fourteen of Turkey's thirty-six Nizam (first-line) divisions away from potential deployment to the Mesopotamian, Egyptian and Caucasian fronts, had failed as a military campaign. It had failed to open a supply route through the Black Sea to Russia's southern ports. It had also failed in its secondary purpose, the bringing of relief to Serbia. That beleaguered country's survival, always conditional upon its enemies' preoccupations elsewhere, had been prolonged by the opening of the Gallipoli campaign and by the entry of Italy into the war, itself hastened by the landings at the Dardanelles. As the Gallipoli vision faded, however, so too had the hopes pinned on its expected subsidiary effects, including encouraging Greece to join the Allies and deterring Bulgaria from joining the Central Powers. The Turks' containment of the Suvla Bay landing in August swung neutral opinion decisively the other way in each case. Bulgaria had a strong local interest in siding with Germany, since the Macedonian territory it had lost, after the briefest possession, at the end of the Second Balkan War in 1913 had gone to Greece and Serbia. The Allies, as suitors and protectors respectively of those two countries, would not, Bulgaria recognised, assist in its return. The Germans, on the other hand, could. The magnitude of their victory at Gorlice-Tarnow in May impressed the Bulgarians, moreover, and a month later they entered into negotiations. The Allies suddenly forgot their commitment to Serbia and on 3 August offered Bulgaria its desired share of Macedonia after all. The offer, however, came too late.
[Emphasis is mine.]

One wonders, had Bulgaria sided with the Allies, whether they would have gotten their promised part of Macedonia, regardless to what Serbia and Greece thought of it, thoughts anyone?

Dobrin

Bulgaria

Post by Dobrin » 08 Oct 2002 22:28

Hello, Gwynn
I'm a newcomer to this place, but I can assure you the name "Bulgaria" is attracting me hopelessly

I doubt that Bulgaria would have gained the promised part of Macedonia. There were three consequent offers of the Entente to Sofia in the summer of 1915. The last one was accompanied with a promise that Britain, France and Russia would occupy the so called "undisputed area" to guarantee its annexation by Bulgaria despite an eventual opposition on the part of Serbia.
The "undisputed area" was a part of Vardar Macedonia, occupied by the Serb Army in the Second Balkan War 1913. Before that it was assigned to Bulgaria by the alliance, concluded with Serbia to fight the Ottoman Empire (1912). The agreement was guaranteed by Russia. Nevertheless the Zar did not intervene in the inter-allied war to prevent the Serbs of capturing this area.
So the Bulgarians could be sceptical towards Russia's commitments.

Best wishes

Return to “First World War”