Highest awards in both wars?

Discussions on all aspects of the First World War not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
Ezboard

Highest awards in both wars?

Post by Ezboard » 29 Sep 2002 15:08

Teddy
Unregistered User
(9/16/00 12:58:38 pm)
Reply Highest awards in both wars?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How many and who, were awarded the highest german awards in both world wars?

Josef Terzian
Unregistered User
(9/17/00 12:13:12 pm)
Reply Ritterkreuz
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Teddy,

Ritterkreuz mit goldenen Eichenlaub, Schweten, und Brillianten was awarded to Hans-Ulrich Rudel.

Grosskreuz was awarded to Herman Goering.

However, I am not sure about those awarded during the Great War.

Jones
Unregistered User
(10/5/00 2:46:46 pm)
Reply First World War
Which was the highest award in the First World War?

eugen
Unregistered User
(10/12/00 9:15:53 pm)
Reply Third Reich
För tapperhet i fält: Pour le Mérite. 20 nedskjutna fiendeflygplan eller en förstörd eller tillfångatagen fiendebataljon. Blå Max.

Tristan
Unregistered User
(10/12/00 10:20:00 pm)
Reply What?
I don't understand a word you are saying! Take it in english please!!

Ken McCanliss
Unregistered User
(10/13/00 2:26:20 am)
Reply Highest Award in World War I
The highest military award in World War I was the Star to the Grand Cross of the Iron Cross of 1914; only one was awarded - to Generalfeldmarschall Paul Ludwig von Hindenburg und Beneckendorff.

Next came the Grand Cross of the Iron Cross of 1914. Only 5 of these were awarded, as follows:

9 Dec 1916 - GFM von Hindenburg
11 Dec 1916 - Kaiser Wilhelm II
9 Jan 1917 - GFM August von Mackensen
4 Mar 1918 - Prince Leopold of Bavaria
24 Mar 1918 - Gen. der Inf. Erich Ludendorff

By contrast, 687 individuals were awarded the Pour le Mérite (in both grades) during WWI.

~ Ken McCanliss

Clive
Unregistered User
(10/16/00 2:36:28 pm)
Reply World War I
Funny, I always thought it was Pour le Merite that was the highest, well you learn things all the time.

Clive

Return to “First World War”