Britons and Americans in the Nationalist forces

Discussions on all aspects of the Spanish Civil War including the Condor Legion, the Germans fighting for Franco in the Spanish Civil War.
Komi

Britons and Americans in the Nationalist forces

Post by Komi » 07 Jan 2021 15:27

A cursory glance at the wikipedia article Foreign Involvement in the Spanish Civil War showed a claim that "...volunteers from other nations served in the Nationalist forces, including Britons ... Welsh People ... Americans ... " The source given for this statement is Christopher Othen's book Franco's International Brigades: Foreign Volunteers and Fascist Dictators in the Spanish Civil War, of which I don't have a copy.

Can anyone elaborate on the subject of British and American volunteers for the Nationalist side? Any details on things like names, service history, numbers ... really any details at all? Also if there have been any books written which go into depth on British or American volunteers for the Nationalists, I'd appreciate a recommendation.

Ironmachine

Re: Britons and Americans in the Nationalist forces

Post by Ironmachine » 08 Jan 2021 08:17

Another book on the subject is Fighting For Franco: International Volunteers in Nationalist Spain During the Spanish Civil War, by Judith Keene. It includes a chapter on English-speaking volunteers.
There were at most a few tens of British and American volunteers in the National side during the SCW so their military significance was zero, regardless of how interesting their stories could be.
Perhaps the best known National British volunteer in the SCW is Peter Kemp, who fought first in a Requeté unit and later joined the Spanish Legion. He wrote a book about his experiences in the SCW titled Mine Were of Trouble.

Komi

Re: Britons and Americans in the Nationalist forces

Post by Komi » 08 Jan 2021 11:06

Ironmachine wrote:
08 Jan 2021 08:17
Thanks for the reply, I'll add that book title to my list and also have a look for Kemp's story.

Return to “Spanish Civil War & Legion Condor”