Arms from Greece

Discussions on all aspects of the Spanish Civil War including the Condor Legion, the Germans fighting for Franco in the Spanish Civil War.
Spearfish

Arms from Greece

Post by Spearfish » 07 Dec 2022, 10:39

I was surprised to learn that Greece supplied arms to both sides during the Spanish Civil War.
Can anyone supply details of what was supplied and details of shipments?

ROLAND1369

Re: Arms from Greece

Post by ROLAND1369 » 12 Dec 2022, 19:05

I cannot comment on it accuracy or usefulness as I have not read it yet however this may help.

https://summit.sfu.ca/item/15787

Ironmachine

Post by Ironmachine » 13 Dec 2022, 09:53

I read it some time ago and found a number of problems, that's why I didn't recommend it. First, it has very little detail about what was supplied and the shipments, so it may be of little help for the OP. Second, while I can not comment on the accuracy of the part dealing with Greek arms sales, the part about the Spanish Civil War has some significant mistakes that make me doubt about the general quality of the work.

Ironmachine

Post by Ironmachine » 13 Dec 2022, 11:14

Arms for Spain: The Untold Story of the Spanish Civil War has some (very little, in fact) information about Greek weapons supply to the Republicans, mostly about German Mauser rifles and their ammunition and Göring implication on the matter. However, I think this paragraph may be of much interest for the OP:
The story of Greek arms shipments to the Republicasn has been barely hinted at in histories of the Spanish Civil War, but since Dr Thanasis Sfikas, who had done some pioneering research in the Greek archives, is preparing a book about the subject I shall leave the telling of it to him. Suffice is to say that although, as I write, the exact quantity of ammunition and some other material sold to the Republicans is not known, the profit to the Greek treasury is estimated to have been about £1,200,000, or $6 million. What is less clear is how much material was actually delivered, for some of the cargoes were disembarked at Marseille in July 1937 and may not have been allowed to cross into Spain until the opening of the frontier between 17 March and 13 June 1938. The use of Greek ships to carry arms from Greece to Republican Spain was well known by the summer of 1937 and gave rise to a long memorandum from the Foreing Office to the Greek and French governments.
The book was published in 1999, so it's possible for new data to have appeared since then, or perhaps the promised book by Dr Thanasis Sfikas has been published, but that's all I know about the matter.
Regards.

Spearfish

Post by Spearfish » 13 Dec 2022, 14:16

Gentlemen
Very many thanks for your kind, and valuable responses to my query.
I have a copy of the thesis, Roland 1369 although it lacks detail.
Ironmachine, I will follow up your lead on Dr Sfikas.

Ironmachine

Post by Ironmachine » 13 Dec 2022, 19:20

Spearfish wrote:I have a copy of the thesis, Roland 1369 although it lacks detail.
And, as I said before, it has a number of significant mistakes, at least in the parts about the Spanish Civil War and foreign involvement.
Spearfish wrote:Ironmachine, I will follow up your lead on Dr Sfikas.
It's quite probable that the book Howson mentions is the same book that Inglis used as source in her thesis: Thanasis Sfikas' I Ellada kai o Ispanikos Empulios: Ideologia, Oikonimia, Diplomatia. If that's really the case, then Greek arms dealings are just a part of the book and it has already provided a basis for Inglis' thesis, so I am somewhat exceptic about the level of detail and new information you may find in the book, but it seems to be the best option available.

Spearfish

Post by Spearfish » 15 Dec 2022, 19:29

Once again Ironmachine, I am very grateful for your advice and comments.

Return to “Spanish Civil War & Legion Condor”