Siege of Toledo

Discussions on all aspects of the Spanish Civil War including the Condor Legion, the Germans fighting for Franco in the Spanish Civil War.
Fabi

Siege of Toledo

Post by Fabi » 28 Feb 2007, 20:26

Hi,
I need more information on the siege of Toledo and the nationalist and republican forces fighting in the Alcazar.(Tanks, artillery pieces, troops, armoured cars...) Everything is welcome!
Fotos would also be very useful.
Thank you!

Óscar G

Post by Óscar G » 28 Feb 2007, 21:45

Hi,
I posted this photo a long time ago... Maybe it´s useful for you. Regards.
Óscar
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... highlight=

Kurt_Belarus

Post by Kurt_Belarus » 03 Mar 2007, 20:49

I'd recommend you this site - http://www.generalisimofranco.com/caido ... r/0001.htm

You can find there

1) DIARIO DE OPERACIONES DESDE EL 18 DE JULIO AL 28 DE SEPTIEMBRE DE 1936
(Diary of operations)

2) Defensores del Alcázar y refugiados que compartieron con ellos el Asedio.
(each of the defenders and refugees by name)

3) Caídos por Dios y por España.
(those who died for God and for Spain in Alcazar)

4) A lot of fotos.

Kurt_Belarus

Post by Kurt_Belarus » 03 Mar 2007, 20:52

After the siege.

Restituto Alcazar (born in the castle during the siege) and Colonel Moscardo.

Kurt_Belarus

Post by Kurt_Belarus » 03 Mar 2007, 20:57

Siege.

Here you can find a lot of other fotos of Alcazar during or soon after the siege - http://www.uclm.es/Ceclm/b_virtual/imag ... 14F535.htm

''X''

Post by ''X'' » 04 Mar 2007, 20:06

Very nice photos Kurt_Belarus,thank you.Specially the first one!

Giorgos

iwh

Re: Siege of Toledo

Post by iwh » 05 Mar 2007, 22:19

Fabi wrote:I need more information on the siege of Toledo and the nationalist and republican forces fighting in the Alcazar
The Nationalist troops sent to relieve Toledo were from the Army of Africa. Three columns of the Moroccan army under the overall command of General Varela moved to the north of Toledo. Under the individual command of Colonel Asensio, Major Castejon and Colonel Fernando Barron, they cut the road to Madrid, then headed south to Toledo. The Alcazar was originally besieged by Republican Militiamen.

Moscardo was in charge of the besieged Alcazar, and we have the now famous story of the telephone call with his son, who was a prisoner of the militia. The son was said to have been shot over the phone, when in fact he was shot a month later in reprisal for Nationalist bombing of Toledo. Paul Preston doubts the telephone incident took place at all, whereas Hugh Thomas believes some sort of conversation took place, but not the sort that legend says took place.

No one knows the fate of the 50 or so Republican hostages taken in the Alcazar by the Nationalists. They were never heard of again.

Largo Caballero refused help from the communists in the assault on the Alcazar, which became almost medieval in nature as miners burrowed under the walls and mined them. Eventually Caballero gave permission for communist units under Major Barcelo to join the battle, but this made no difference. The Alcazar held out.

The alcazar was relieved on 27-28 September. The usual blood letting by the Army of Africa soon followed.

I am not sure about the weapons used in the battle. I would not think many tanks would have been used, as foreign aid had not really started to enter Spain at that time.

Fabi

Post by Fabi » 06 Mar 2007, 18:25

Thank you for the information.

Where there militiamen from the C.N.T. and F.A.I?

I read some time ago that there were 2 or 3 tanks in use and on a foto you can see the back of a french Schneider tank with J.S.U. painted on a red flag on the tank.
The republicans also had a few artillery pieces but I don't know what kind of, what would also be interesting.
I think a big part of the nationalist troops in the Alcazar were of the Guardia Civil!?

Fabi

Post by Fabi » 06 Mar 2007, 18:27

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_the_Alc%C3%A1zar
There were men of the F.A.I. and C.N.T.
More information on the link above!

Kurt_Belarus

Post by Kurt_Belarus » 07 Mar 2007, 00:08

iwh wrote:No one knows the fate of the 50 or so Republican hostages taken in the Alcazar by the Nationalists. They were never heard of again.
It's a very confusing issue. Some historians say there were 50 hostages, some - more than 100. Others don't mention them at all.
At the same time we know every Nationalist killed in Alcasar by his/her name.

Who was first to tell the story of rep. hostages?
What primary evidence we have here?

Kurt_Belarus

Post by Kurt_Belarus » 07 Mar 2007, 00:13

Fabi wrote:I think a big part of the nationalist troops in the Alcazar were of the Guardia Civil!?
actually the bulk of Nationalist troops there were Guardia Civil

iwh

Post by iwh » 07 Mar 2007, 21:25

Kurt_Belarus wrote: Who was first to tell the story of rep. hostages?
The hostage situation was confirmed by the hero of the Alcazar himself, Moscardo, who stated, obviously in Spanish, that Manuel Gonzalez Lopez the civil governor came with him to the Alcazar, together "with his entire family, and a number of persons (about 100) of left wing politics as hostages".

Now we know they went in, but they were never heard of again. According to Thomas, it must be assumed they underwent the same fate as Luis Moscardo.

Kurt_Steiner

Post by Kurt_Steiner » 09 Mar 2007, 11:26

Kurt_Belarus wrote:
Fabi wrote:I think a big part of the nationalist troops in the Alcazar were of the Guardia Civil!?
actually the bulk of Nationalist troops there were Guardia Civil
IIRC, there were 600-800 Guardias Civiles under teniente coronelo Romero Bassart. The other forces under Moscardó's command were around 100 officers, 9 cadets, 200 soldiers and around 200 civilian (falangists and from Acción Popular).

Fabi

Post by Fabi » 09 Mar 2007, 15:33

Thanks a lot for the mass information :D

Kurt_Belarus

Post by Kurt_Belarus » 14 Mar 2007, 10:24

iwh wrote:
Kurt_Belarus wrote: Who was first to tell the story of rep. hostages?
The hostage situation was confirmed by the hero of the Alcazar himself, Moscardo, who stated, obviously in Spanish, that Manuel Gonzalez Lopez the civil governor came with him to the Alcazar, together "with his entire family, and a number of persons (about 100) of left wing politics as hostages".
Where this quotation comes from?

Return to “Spanish Civil War & Legion Condor”