Text of Franco's July 1936 Letter to Hitler

Discussions on all aspects of the Spanish Civil War including the Condor Legion, the Germans fighting for Franco in the Spanish Civil War.
Jadefox

Text of Franco's July 1936 Letter to Hitler

Post by Jadefox » 17 Oct 2009, 22:36

Hello, All.

I also posted this in the archives and documentation forum, but I thought that I'd post here to, as it is a Spanish Civil War specific question.

I am doing some research on the Spanish Civil War as part of a writing project, and I am keen to see the primary source text of Franco's letter to Hitler sent in late July 1936. The letter requests Germany's aid in the form of, most importantly, Junkers 52s to help airlift the Army of Africa under Franco's command to mainland Spain in the earlly days of the Spanish Civil War. I know the letter was delivered to Hitler by J.E.F. Bernhardt and A. Langenheim at Bayreuth 25 July 1936, and I know Hitler's response. What I would like to see is the actual text of the letter. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Ironmachine

Re: Text of Franco's July 1936 Letter to Hitler

Post by Ironmachine » 07 Oct 2011, 20:53

Two years later, but if you are still interested...

The letter has never been found, and it was probably destroyed by Hitler given the secrecy of the matter. But Bernhardt himself, many years later, roughly rewrote the text of the letter from what he remembered. It was published for the first time by Wilfred von Oven, a friend of Bernhardt, in his book Hitler y la Guerra Civil Española. Misión y Destino de la Legión Cóndor, Buenos Aires, Editorial Milicia, 1987, pag 123. It was as follows (from El legado de Sigfrido, by Lucas Molina Franco, where the text is quoted):
Excelencia,
nuestro movimiento nacional y militar tiene como objetivo la lucha contra la democracia corrupta de nuestro país y contra las fuerzas destructivas del comunismo, organizadas bajo el mando de Rusia.
Me permito dirigirma a V.E. con esta carta, que le será entregada por dos señores alemanes que comparten con nosotros los trágicos acontecimientos actuales.
Todos los buenos españoles se han decidido firmemente a comenzar esta gran lucha, para el bien de España y de Europa.
Existen severas dificultades para transportar rápidamente a la península bien comprobadas fuerzas militares de Marruecos por falta de lealtad en la marina de guerra española.
En mi calidad de jefe superior de estas fuerzas, ruego a Usted me facilite los medios de transporte aéreo: 10 aviones de transporte de la mayor capacidad posible; le pido además 20 piezas antiaéreas de 20 mm. y 6 aviones de caza Heinkel.
La cantidad máxima de ametralladoras y de fusiles con sus municiones en abundancia.
Además bombas aéreas de varios tipos, hasta 50 kgs.
Excelencia:
España ha cumplido a través de toda su historia con sus compromisos. Con Alemania se siente más unida que nunca en estas horas de su cruzada en la lucha contra el comunismo.
Francisco Franco Bahamonde
Jefe Supremo de las Fuerzas Militares en Marruecos

Regards.

Return to “Spanish Civil War & Legion Condor”