Miguel Campos

Discussions on all aspects of the Spanish Civil War including the Condor Legion, the Germans fighting for Franco in the Spanish Civil War.
keith A

Miguel Campos

Post by keith A » 14 Oct 2012 16:56

Does anyone have details of his SCW career? I know he was an anarchist from the Canary Islands, Born around 1910, and probably had done military service before the war.

thanks

Keith

Ironmachine

Re: Miguel Campos

Post by Ironmachine » 14 Oct 2012 18:37

AFAIK, the most detailed source about him is the book Un héroe para la libertad, de Fernando Castro de Isidro, though I don’t know how accurate this work is.
I don’t have the book, but it can be partially seen in Googlebooks. Regarding your questions, the following information is provided:
Probably born between 1908 and 1914 in the Canaries Islands. With no studies, he left the Canaries at the end of Primo de Rivera’s dictatorship and went to Catalonia. He joined the CNT and the FAI (anarchists) as soon as he arrived there (although the book speculates with a possible previous anarchist militancy). He was in Barcelona when the military coup happened, and as a militia man fought in the city during the first days of the war. He joined Durruti’s column formed on 24 July to liberate Zaragoza. Took part, consequently, in the actions of Caspe, Fraga, Candasnos, Peñalba y La Almanda, and on the 27th arrived at Bujaraloz.
He went to Madrid with Durruti, and then was incorporated to the 26th Division of the Popular Republican Army, fighting at Belchite, Quinto and Codo in Aragón during 1937.
Unfortunately, the part about the rest of the SCW can not be viewed.
Hope this helps.
Regards.

keith A

Post by keith A » 15 Oct 2012 09:03

Thanks, chum. That gives me a lot to work on.

best regards

Keith

keith A

Post by keith A » 15 Oct 2012 17:30

Hi Ironside,

I looked up the book you mentioned and got some more information about Campos (he left Spain aboard the Stanbrook and was interned in Algeria). The whole thing looked so interesting I have bought a copy (altho' I don't speak Spanish) and hope I can decipher enough to fill out the details I am missing. If you have any questions about him, and you think the book can help I am happy to quote from it. You obviously speak Spanish so it'll be easier for you.

I managed to find the other sites you quoted yesterday, and a few more, so now I have quite a lot of information about "Le Nueve" which I will put with my copy of "Le General Leclerc et la 2e DB". This book has very little information about the Spanish contingent. While searching I found a reference that stated that Leclerc division was "whitened" because there may be pressure about african soldiers being part of it... which, if true, was a little disappointing.

best regards

Keith

Ironmachine

Post by Ironmachine » 15 Oct 2012 20:13

The whole thing looked so interesting I have bought a copy (altho' I don't speak Spanish) and hope I can decipher enough to fill out the details I am missing.
I can help you if you need some help with the translation.
Regards.

keith A

Post by keith A » 15 Oct 2012 20:34

Thanks, mate. I am about to start looking at the SCW side of his career. Just finished watching a film about the CNT-FAI which has given me a starting point about the Durruti column.

Regards

Keith

keith A

Post by keith A » 19 Oct 2012 18:16

Just found this....

Los primeros ex combatientes que se refieren a Miguel Campos le sitúan en África, en la ciudad de Orán, a donde llega en 1939 a bordo de uno de los barcos que trasladaban desde Francia a los españoles que lograron escapar del país tras pelear en la Península. "Enrolado en la Legión y enviado con las tropas a Camerún, fue uno de los primeros en desertar para irse con Leclerc,,,"

This seems to say that Campos joined the Legion and then deserted/transferred to the 2 DB but I was under the impression that he fought in the Corps Francs D'Afrique in the Fezzan and Tunisia? This is a quote from Dronne of the RMT.

Regards

Keith

Ironmachine

Post by Ironmachine » 19 Oct 2012 20:54

Yes, other sources mention that he fought in the Corps Francs d’Afrique. Actually, everything is murky about Miguel Campos, and it is difficult to get a clear image, as most of the information come from second hand testimonies.
Unfortunately, this lack of accuracy seems to include the Un héroe para la libertad book. Remember that I said that I didn't know how accurate it was (it was very surprising that a book could be written about someone who is surrounded by mistery). Well, I have found a small review of the book:
LIBROS: UN HÉROE PARA LA LIBERTAD
Por Fernando Castro de Isidro
Ediciones Idea, 2006 – 105 pag.
Por publicar que no quede, o eso piensan algunos. La sorpresa fue grande al conocer la aparición de un libro sobre una de las figuras claves y más enigmáticas de “La Nueve” histórica: el canario Miguel Campos.
Pedida la obra a la editorial, la primera sorpresa vino dada por el precio (gastos de envío incluidos) de una obra de tan reducidas dimensiones: 17 euros.
Bueno, pensamos, si esta bien, merecerá la pena. Ya, desde la primera hojeada, algo llamaba a la prudencia: texto escaso, como por otra parte era previsible, y una penosa reproducción del material gráfico, incluida una reproducción de la fotografía del fanion que aparece en nuestra web y de la que la editorial no ha solicitado ni permiso de edición, que le hubiera sido dado de mil amores, ni cita la procedencia.
En el texto, lo inexplicable: ¿Cómo se puede publicar un trabajo en el que todo son “suponer”, “posiblemente” o “no sabemos exactamente”? en su primera parte. Ninguna referencia documental. ¿Qué fuentes utiliza el autor para decir que Campos acompañaba a todos lados a Durruti? (P.e.)
Un trabajo, que continuaremos llamando así ya que el autor al menos se sentaría ante el ordenador para copiar, párrafo por párrafo, aunque haya cometido errores al transcribirlas, sus fuentes, es decir: la bibliografía que aparece al pie de la página 50, y ha “fusilado” todo el periodo referente a la epopeya de los españoles en la 2e. D. B. Lo que aquí leemos que le ocurrió a Campos, y que el autor personaliza, le ocurrió a la 3ª sección en su totalidad, incluido su cañón de 57 mm.
Bueno. No queremos seguir hablando de esta ¿obra?. Nos negamos a continuar malgastando nuestro tiempo sobre algo que, última y desgraciadamente, suena a tomadura de pelo editorial y a querer “ordeñar una vaca a diez kilómetros de distancia y sin pringarse las manos”
Punto y final.
http://juanmario.rey.en.eresmas.net/lan ... alidad.htm
It seems that the writer had taken some (or many) liberties when writing the book. The review says that the first part is basically "suppose", "possibly" and "we don't know exactly", and the part about the time in the 2e. D. B. takes what happened to the whole 3rd section as if it had happened personally to Campos. So I would take what is written there with many grains of salt.
Regards.

keith A

Post by keith A » 20 Oct 2012 10:12

Thanks Ironmachine. The book hasn't arrived here yet, but at least I will know that I should be prepared for a little inaccuracy. The good thing is that it has given me a starting point into looking at the SCW and the resistance movement that went on afterwards.

regards

Keith

keith A

Post by keith A » 20 Jun 2018 14:50

After six years I return to Miguel Campos. An article indicates he deserted the French Army in December 1944 and joined the anti-Franco resistance. Possibly being killed in Morocco by the Moroccan Secret Service some years later. Also that he was with the 54a División of the Nationalist Army and deserted to the Republicans in 1938. His family were politically active and at least two were imprisoned as political prisoners.

regards

Keith

keith A

Post by keith A » 20 Jun 2018 15:55

On the point of Campos I note that the 4 DBLE (of which he was a member) left Senegal in March 1943 and headed to Morocco "where the demi-brigade became the 1st Foreign Marching Infantry Regiment 1er REIM". When it was dissolved in June perhaps he transferred?

Return to “Spanish Civil War & Legion Condor”