International Brigades company organisation

Discussions on all aspects of the Spanish Civil War including the Condor Legion, the Germans fighting for Franco in the Spanish Civil War.
Happy Wanderer

International Brigades company organisation

Post by Happy Wanderer » 12 Nov 2013, 14:23

Gents,

I've been scouring for info on the company/platoon organisation of the International Brigades in the SCW.

I am happy the early International brigades shortly after the war essentially followed the line of militia organisations, but what of the more formally organised units toward the end of 1936 Oct-Dec?

Were they formed along the lines of the Spanish army or an organisation of their own? The Osprey gives a breakdown of the British Battalion as;

3 Sections (platoons?)
each
x1 sergeant
x3 platoons (sections?) with 8 men each.

I have heard of a fourth squad formation instead of a three as well...I'm not sure this is correct.

Dos anyone have info on the organisation and equipment of the Internationals at this level?

Kind regards

Happy Wanderer

Happy Wanderer

Re: International Brigades company organisation

Post by Happy Wanderer » 18 Nov 2013, 03:16

Gentleman,

Does anyone have any info?

Kind regards

Happy W

Ironmachine

Post by Ironmachine » 18 Nov 2013, 09:20

What follows is taken from http://www.elgrancapitan.org/foro/viewt ... nacionales:
Each company had 175 men: 25 in the headquartes and 3 rifle "secciones" of 50 hombres.
The company would be commanded by a captain and each "sección" by a lieutenant.
Each "sección" had 2 "pelotones" commanded by a sargent. Each "pelotón" had 2 or 3 "escuadras" of between 5 and 8 men commanded by a corporal.
That, of course, was the theory.
Regards.

Happy Wanderer

Post by Happy Wanderer » 18 Nov 2013, 21:18

Ironmachine,

Thanks for that link. Very useful and a pretty useful site with the help of a a translator.

Cheers

Happy W

Return to “Spanish Civil War & Legion Condor”