Volunteer in the SCW

Discussions on all aspects of the Spanish Civil War including the Condor Legion, the Germans fighting for Franco in the Spanish Civil War.
Tannenberg1914

Volunteer in the SCW

Post by Tannenberg1914 » 27 Apr 2014, 17:02

Hi,
I hope I am in the right place to ask about the following.
I had an Italian uncle (now deceased) who fought in the Spanish Civil War as a volunteer....quite possibly on the side of the Republicans. I am wondering if there is any way via sources, groups, or such like, where I could find more information about any units he may have been attached to and a general history of his service out there.
It's kind of become an important thing for me and I would more than appreciate all the help I can get with this.
Many thanks for reading this and I look very much forward to hearing from anyone who can help me on this quest of mine.

Marco

Orwell1984

Re: Volunteer in the SCW

Post by Orwell1984 » 01 May 2014, 15:46

Since you think he may have fought on the Republican side, you might try contacting some one at Abraham Lincoln Brigade Archives:
http://www.alba-valb.org/

Under their FAQ's:
How do I find information on a family member who fought in the Spanish Civil War?
The best first step is to consult ALBA’s online database of volunteers who left from the United States. You can also consult one of the several finding aids of the Abraham Lincoln Brigade archives at NYU’s Tamiment library (under the “Resources” tab). Finally, you can submit a query to ALBA’s listserv
Obviously they mainly deal with American volunteers but they may be able to point you in the direction you need to go to find more information on your relative.

Return to “Spanish Civil War & Legion Condor”