Crest of the Guardia Civil

Discussions on all aspects of the Spanish Civil War including the Condor Legion, the Germans fighting for Franco in the Spanish Civil War.
Latze

Crest of the Guardia Civil

Post by Latze » 24 Jan 2016, 22:24

The crest of the Guardia Civil shows the fasces. I know that the symbol is very old and was also used by non-fascist regimes in their heraldry before the 20th century. But I was curious from when the Guardia Civil's used of the fasces stems. Was it 'given' to them by the Franco government or is it older. German und English web searches turned up nothing and unfortunately I do not speak any Spanish. Maybe somebody here is well versed in these matters?

regards
Matt

Loïc

Re: Crest of the Guardia Civil

Post by Loïc » 25 Jan 2016, 00:05

Indeed, not only used by non-fascist, but "mainly" by Republican States, it is more a republican symbol adopted in France and after in Latinoamerica than a fascist one as it is seen often today, we can see it even as US Army Inspector General Department crest, and in the US House of Representatives, etc...the list as military and civilian symbols could be very long...

the trouble with the Spanish Civil Guard is that the haz de líctores was introduced with the 1943 regulations

before it was only a crossed "G" y "C" under a royal crown replaced by a mural crown with the IInd Republic

Regards
Loïc

Latze

Post by Latze » 25 Jan 2016, 22:46

Thank you very much Loic! (sorry I cannot replicate this neat Umlaut-I in your name). Much appreciated!

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 28 Jan 2016, 08:45

A good question, that always creates doubts:
" Fasces lictoriae " in the G.C corps is indicating their capacities for surveillance and safeguard.
" The sword " means their membership to Armed Forces.
Really is not a fascist insignia, more links with ancient Rome, otherwise it would be forbidden their use in my country.
" The old Lictors " wore this insignia, they were public officials during the republican period of ancient Rome, with mission to protect magistrates.
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

Ironmachine

Post by Ironmachine » 28 Jan 2016, 09:23

Some points to be noted:
The relevant point about "the sword" is not that it means that the GC is a part of the Army (in fact, is more a sign of it being a "force") but that it is pointing downwards, indicating the submission of its power to the legal authority.
The crest, though introduced in 1943, was not used due to any "Fascist" significance.
Although it is not used as crest, the historical emblem mentioned by Löic formed by the letters G and C is still used as a logo in the corporate identity of the corps,

Return to “Spanish Civil War & Legion Condor”