Legion Condor Belt

Discussions on all aspects of the Spanish Civil War including the Condor Legion, the Germans fighting for Franco in the Spanish Civil War.
Sampo Jämbeck

Legion Condor Belt

Post by Sampo Jämbeck » 29 Nov 2017, 23:38

I got this belt as a child and found out just recently that it is a belt used by Legion Condor.
Belt.jpg
Belt 001.jpg
Belt 002.jpg
I noticed "Policia militar" stamps in the inner side.
This belt was given to me by a family friend nearly 30 years ago.
What I know about the family history of that person, it could be his grandfather's belt.
The mentioned grandfather was a Spanish soldier serving with Heer or Waffen-SS in Finland.
Surname was probably Garcia.

Ironmachine

Re: Legion Condor Belt

Post by Ironmachine » 30 Nov 2017, 09:16

It couldn't have been used by the Legion Condor because the "eagle and sword" emblem of the Spanish Army did not exist until 1943, when it was selected as winner of a public contest to provide the army with a unified symbol.

Sampo Jämbeck

Post by Sampo Jämbeck » 05 Dec 2017, 13:17

Thank you for the correction. Some sources I found from the internet listed it as LC item.
So it is regular army belt then.

Ironmachine

Post by Ironmachine » 05 Dec 2017, 15:32

Yes, it is a Spanish Army item and in any case it is from the post-Spanish Civil War period. The symbol did not exist before 1943 and IIRC the first "Policía Militar" units of the Spanish Army were created in the 1960s, so in fact the belt may be from much later than the Civil War. Anyway, there is no possible connection with the Condor Legion.

Sampo Jämbeck

Post by Sampo Jämbeck » 05 Dec 2017, 19:52

Thank you for the reply and all the info. All respect!
Now I know this is not then the actual relic from Garcia family, because the Spanish soldier serving in Finland I mentioned left Finland probably in 1943 or at least in 1944 (leaving one known child named José in Finland). Interesting enough his Finnish grandson gave this belt to me nearly 30 years ago without probably knowing anything about the belt or it's history.

Return to “Spanish Civil War & Legion Condor”