Please help me to identify

Discussions on all aspects of the Spanish Civil War including the Condor Legion, the Germans fighting for Franco in the Spanish Civil War.
Beso Zaridze

Please help me to identify

Post by Beso Zaridze » 21 Dec 2018, 18:40

Hello everyone ! I found this picture with title Georgian volunteer Konstantin Gognijanoshvili in Franco's army
Is this real? Or fake
Please provide more information if you have
FB_IMG_1545410178988.jpg
FB_IMG_1545410178988.jpg (30.19 KiB) Viewed 7418 times

Ironmachine

Re: Please help me to identify

Post by Ironmachine » 21 Dec 2018, 21:47

So what is exactly you doubt, whether there was a Konstantin Gognijanoshvili or not, or if he is really the man in the picture?
Regarding the first question, yes, there was a Konstantin Gognijanoshvil in Franco's army during the SCW. AFAIK he served first with the Legión and later with the Requeté. He later fought with the Spanish Blue Division on the Eastern Front in WWII.
Regarding the picture, I have seen it before, though I can't remember where. They are Requeté's officers, and Gognijanoshvili is supposed to be the one in the red circle:
untitled.png
untitled.png (323.5 KiB) Viewed 7394 times
He had lost an eye in 1937.
So I think you can be sure it is real.
Regards.

Ironmachine

Re: Please help me to identify

Post by Ironmachine » 21 Dec 2018, 22:58

Even though the link to the picture is not longer working, IIRC this is where I first saw that picture:
http://memoriablau.es/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=132&start=45
The identity of the four men in the picture is then:
De izquierda a derecha Teniente Silvino Garcia, Teniente Juan de Zavala (coautor del libro El Requete siendo comandante junto con el general Redondo) Teniente Goguijonachvili (tuerto) y Teniente Veraza , todos del Tercio Navarra.
From left to right, lieutenant Silvino García, lieutenant Juan de Zavala, lieutenant Goguijonachvili and lieutenant Veraza.
Hope that helps.
Regards.

Return to “Spanish Civil War & Legion Condor”