Brits in Spain

Discussions on all aspects of the Spanish Civil War including the Condor Legion, the Germans fighting for Franco in the Spanish Civil War.
pslpom

Brits in Spain

Post by pslpom » 24 Aug 2003, 04:10

Hi

I am new to this forum so I hope I am not asking previous questions ( I did check past posts!).

I read in a book that there were British members of the Intertantional Brigades (British Battalion?) that went on to serve with the SAS in WW2. Does anyone know who they might have been ?

Also what are people's opinions of Ken Loach's film. 'Land and Freedom'?

Does anyone know where I can purchase genuine SCW militaria ? I am particulary intersted in any Int Bgde ID documents.

Lastly I should have hopefully attached an image of a memorial to the Australians that fought in Spain. I took this photo about three years ago when I visited Canberra here in Australia.

cheers

Peter Lopes
Attachments
AusMemorialSCW.jpg
Australians who fought in Spain. Canberra, Australia
AusMemorialSCW.jpg (60.01 KiB) Viewed 1297 times

kris777

Post by kris777 » 30 Aug 2003, 21:58

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/SPbritish.htm

This link has a good, IMHO, selection of biographies of significant Brits who fought in Spain.
/Kris
Last edited by kris777 on 13 Sep 2003, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.

kris777

Post by kris777 » 13 Sep 2003, 19:15

Just to say in the next week or so I should have some pictures up of the Brigade's memorial on the south bank of the river Thames, London.

Hopefull it'll be of some interest to you pslpom.

/Kris

Patrick Edwin Cooley

Post by Patrick Edwin Cooley » 13 Sep 2003, 21:56

"Land And Freedom" was first-rate.

I have it on video. :D

Kiesel

Post by Kiesel » 14 Sep 2003, 13:33

"Land & Freedom" has several historical inaccuracies (the title is from a anarchist book, not communist, verbi gratia). The role of poum militias is overrated (and the regular republican army is despised). Not bad, but far from a masterpiece (and not even handed). 4 points of 10.

The International Brigades were part of the regular army, and all of his members they can have quickly Spanish citizenship (by a 1996 Act).

About British volunteers:

http://www.international-brigades.org.u ... talion.htm

Sorry my bad english.

pslpom

Brits in Spain

Post by pslpom » 16 Sep 2003, 11:17

Thanks to everyone who replied and the links are great.

On 'Land and Freedom', I was told that it was based on Orwell's, 'Homage to Catalonia.

I don't know if anyone has seen colour footage of the Brits in Spain but some of you may know the series 'WW2 in colour' it shows a short clip of the British battalion with flag in episode 1.

cheers

Peter

Return to “Spanish Civil War & Legion Condor”