Bu³ak Ba³achowicz Question

Discussions on all aspects of the Spanish Civil War including the Condor Legion, the Germans fighting for Franco in the Spanish Civil War.
Retro

Bu³ak Ba³achowicz Question

Post by Retro » 09 Apr 2004, 12:40

Did anyone gat information about gen. Bulak Balachowits (Bu³ak Ba³achowicz) and his fight in civil war in Spain. He was anticommunist - former during Civil War in Russia in Northen (White) Army (Yudenits Army), After fail of Yudenits in Allayed Belorussian Army in Poland, in 20’ties and 30’ties leave in Poland – I know only that he fight in Franco Side…
Best Retro

freiwillige

Post by freiwillige » 15 Apr 2004, 11:11

Hello,

Anyone knows if exist a biographya (in english or french) about Gen. Bulak?

Thanks.
Ferran

Retro

Post by Retro » 19 Apr 2004, 13:14

I don’t thing so. Bulak-Balakhovich have no biography in polish (maybe in Belorussian)
In net its only short note about episodes in Civil War in Russia
Something like that
BULAK-BALAKHOVICH
Rodzianko's first victories brought a population of half a million under
the authority of Iudenich's government-in-exile in Helsinki. Yet the Whites
did not rule well, as subordinates over whom Rodzianko lost control
launched a reign of terror against the Reds who had opposed them and the
Jews who had not. Perhaps most notorious among White Army commanders,
General Bulak-Balakhovich, the self-styled "ataman of peasant and partisan
legions," committed extortion, robbery, and murder among the people of
Pskov and Gdov for the better part of two months. Bulak-Balakhovich called
upon the Red Army soldiers to defect and killed them when they did. "You
know me," he announced. "I am thc servant of the people. I am the sword of
the people's justice. Bulak-Balakhovich hanged Reds from Pskov's lampposts
and threatened its Jews with pogroms unless they paid huge ransoms, which
some claimed he used to settle his gambling debts. In one of his most
memorable outrages, he was reported to have ordered Psko's entire Cheka to
execute themselves. "I have no bullets to spare," he reportedly told his
victims. "And I have no one to hang you because my men are busy with other
things. I'll give you half an hour," he concluded. "You'll have to hang
yourselves." They did so. In one case, according to an onlooker, the rope
broke and the victim fell to the ground. When he tried to escape, one of
Bulak-Balakhovich's officers ran him down, seized the rope that dangled
from his neck, dragged him to the river's edge, and drowned him.
Anathers sources
- General Bulak-Balachowicz was originally from the Wilno area. He was in the Czarist Russian army until the Bolshevik revolution, when he formed units determined to fight the Bolsheviks. He became an ally of Pilsudski and organized units of volunteers made up of Poles from the eastern border areas, which fought in Russia against the Bolsheviks. One of the terms of the 1921 Riga peace treaty between Poland and Russia was the removal of official Polish support for any nationalist groups from Ukraine or Bialy Russia. As a result, Petlura lost Polish support and was defeated by the Bolsheviks. General Bulak-Balachowicz remained in Poland after the War. He died in Warsaw in 1940. He was reputed to have organized a undergroung unit in Warsaw to fight against the Germans.
Look also at:
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... ight=bulak

Reigo

Post by Reigo » 02 May 2004, 19:52

I have heard only that he was sent to Spain by the Poles a an expert on partisan war.
Bulak-Balakhovich called
upon the Red Army soldiers to defect and killed them when they did.
Bulak-Balakovich was surely cruel man but actually most of his troops in the summer of 1919 consisted of defected Red Army soldiers (later the soldiers defected back to the Reds).

yerbamatt

Post by yerbamatt » 31 May 2004, 07:14

The proper spelling of the above-mentioned general was STANISLAW (Stanislaus) BULAK-BALACHOWICZ. He was Polish, born in the Wilno (today Lithuanian capital Vilnius) area, a pre-war expert in a guerilla warfare.

An interesting biography was published in Poland in 1993:
"Stanislaw Bulak-Balachowicz- zapomniany bohater" ("Stanislaus Bulak- Balachowicz - a forgotten hero") by Marek Cabanowski, published by Micromax, Warszawa (Warsaw), ISBN 83-00-03223-1 - unfortunately only in Polish...

Reigo

Post by Reigo » 02 Jun 2004, 16:45

The proper spelling of the above-mentioned general was STANISLAW (Stanislaus) BULAK-BALACHOWICZ. He was Polish, born in the Wilno (today Lithuanian capital Vilnius) area, a pre-war expert in a guerilla warfare.
There are different versions about his nationality. One claim is Polish-Lithuanian-Tartar, other say Belorussian (the Russian army documents for example). Maybe he felt himself as Polish.

yerbamatt

Post by yerbamatt » 03 Jun 2004, 04:27

Reigo wrote:
There are different versions about his nationality. One claim is Polish-Lithuanian-Tartar, other say Belorussian (the Russian army documents for example). Maybe he felt himself as Polish.
His native language was Polish, both his parents were Polish, he was catholic (neither orthodox nor moslem), he fought for independent Poland, he was an officer in the Polish army and he died in 1940 in occupied Poland organizing underground resistance against Germans. Although he was born in the imperial Russia (Poland did not exist that time, like your Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Finland), he was POLISH (100%) and proud of it...

PS. A few drops of foreign blood did not make him less Polish at all - for example the commander-in-chief of the prewar Polish navy, Herbert Unrug, another perfect Polish patriot, was born in Brandenburg, Germany and served as a captain of one of the Kaiser's destroyers in WWI...

Regards...

Retro

Post by Retro » 11 Jun 2004, 13:26

In Territory of former Grand Duchy of Lithuania nationality was in many cases question of chose. E.g. there 3 brothers with same parents one was Byelorussia’s second Lithuanian last Polish (in family occasions they speaking in polish).
Anather example
In polish city Vilnus there was two Mackiewicz brothers (one was politic – after 2’ed war prime minister of Polish Government in exile second was writer). In Kovno (capital of pre war Lithuania) leave mr Mackievitius ( they uncle or uncle son) who was member of Lithuanian government in 30’s)

Return to “Spanish Civil War & Legion Condor”