Puerto del Escudo and Italian Forces

Discussions on all aspects of the Spanish Civil War including the Condor Legion, the Germans fighting for Franco in the Spanish Civil War.
asiaticus

Post by asiaticus » 16 Sep 2004, 03:31

BTW what are the symbols on the hill the monument is on. They look like trees. Is that a plantation of pinetrees or something like that. Is that someting new? The hills looks fairly bare maybe with grass and a little scrub on them.

Óscar G

Post by Óscar G » 16 Sep 2004, 11:36

Hi everyone:
what are the symbols on the hill the monument is on. They look like trees. Is that a plantation of pinetrees or something like that. Is that someting new? The hills looks fairly bare maybe with grass and a little scrub on them.
It´s the symbol used to mark a "conifer wood" in the side looking to Corconte. You´re right: there is hardly woods, and the landscape is basicly grass. Anyway, I could check the presence of small conifer areas down to Corconte from the Italian Memorial.
More precise info to come...
Regards. Óscar

asiaticus

Source of oob info.

Post by asiaticus » 18 Sep 2004, 08:03

Forgot to mention the source of oob info. Look in the battle section here:

http://www.iespana.es/orden-de-batalla-gce/index.htm

It has lavish detail on this campaign, in Spanish.

Óscar G

Post by Óscar G » 03 Oct 2004, 14:42

Hi everyone:
After keeping silence during the last month, here you have the result of our research “on the place”. My friend and me have tried to reconstruct the events by asking the inhabitants who saw and lived them. On the other hand, we´ve visited the hypothetical fighting places and found some traces and trenchs. This can be called the “second chapter” of this interesting and surprising challenge. More to come…

The first attempts and raids to broke the front lines began during the dawn of August 15 th. The bombardment from the Nationalists positions as well as a great air deployment, were basic for protecting the attack. The Republican Forces had strongly fortified the mountain surrounding Virtus and Quintanaentello ( it has actually a oak wood, but it can be seen the well done trenchs and positions used to beat the plateau in front of Soncillo), and The Escudo Pass in order to avoid the hypothetical penetration towards Santander. The Italian forces went beyond this defensive line (from la Maza/Soncillo to Virtus – Quintanaentello) and overcame it without any difficulty runing to Reinosa. This meant that they got wider to both sides during their advance (like a fan), so that they had to face the hard defensive positions around the Escudo pass. This head-on in a well defended place with hardly natural protection made that the Italian suffered many casualties.
The other side of the Italian attack could reach the Carrales pass after going past Cilleruelo de Bezana. They could aim their field guns against the Republican fortified hill El Castro del Barrio (1188 m. height above the sea level)
The photos show the Escudo from Cabañas de Virtus, and the Memorial from "Venta Nueva" and the trench positions defending the road.
Attachments
Escudo from Cabañas de Virtus.jpg
Escudo from Cabañas de Virtus.jpg (82.27 KiB) Viewed 2048 times
Cementerio desde Venta Nueva.jpg
Cementerio desde Venta Nueva.jpg (94.9 KiB) Viewed 2048 times
Last edited by Óscar G on 03 Oct 2004, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.

Óscar G

Post by Óscar G » 03 Oct 2004, 14:46

This photo shows the position located near the Somaido peak (993 m.) on the right of the Italian advance towards the Escudo. It seems to be that the italians suffered many casualties after the fierce fighting here. It´s very likely because we could see a very well defended trench position beating a stream bed. The shot is taken from another similar position in La Paradía (952 m) – concrete construction with a “1937 signature”. It´s shown in the attached photo – The latter protected the same stream bed as well as gave protection to another one looking to the well defended Italian position on the summit of La Maza. The cattle shed or hut in the Somaido peak is supposed to have been built after the war. Anyway, 7 Italian soldiers were buried behind the little stone wall close to it. Although the remains were carried to the memorial on the Escudo summit, it´s said that a little plaque is still here. We want to search it… We carried no mean to dig.
Attachments
La Paradía.jpg
La Paradía.jpg (81.99 KiB) Viewed 2041 times
Somaido cabaña.jpg
Somaido cabaña.jpg (90.83 KiB) Viewed 2044 times
Somaido.jpg
Somaido.jpg (125.11 KiB) Viewed 2045 times

Óscar G

Post by Óscar G » 03 Oct 2004, 14:50

As for the memorial, we could know, thanks to the testimony of several old inhabitants (Demetrio Fernández from Cilleruelo and Abilio Peña from Virtus), some new info. It´s erected near the place where the fighting was very fierce. Abilio recalls how the dogs caught legs and arms from the trenchs after the battle. On the first day of the offensive they bombed the houses near the summit. Félix, a friend of Abilio, lived there. According to his info, the Italians destroyed the houses (they also were the barracks for the Republican forces engaged in the defensive duty) but said to Felix: “Franco pays”. The payment was the following: after the war, Felix was the responsible for the care of the memorial.
It was made in October 1937 by a pioneer Italian coy, being helped by Republican POWs. The designer was a military chaplain called “Capuci”. The remains of the fallen were put inside the pyramid. Their identification was easy enough, because they were buried – before building the cemetery – with a bottle that contained the soldier´s dog tags (they used to carry two: one in the neck and another around the wrist). 372 soldiers were buried inside: 360 into the niches and 12 officers into individual graves. According to Abilio´s memories, most of them were “Camicie Nere”. This could be checked and confirmed by us, because among the debris inside the memorial we could find some gravestones like the one shown in the photo: DIV. FIAMME NERE 75 (?) BANDERA. Besides, we could confirm (after travelling to the Sacrario of Zaragoza, where every Italian fallen in Spain is remembered) the name of some soldiers: Matteo Abbate, Angelo Occhipinti and the CENTURIONE – this nomenclature is the clue to identify him as a member of the Camicie Nere – Pietro Battiston.
The cemetery held the remains from 1940 to 1975. Before Franco´s death, it was blown up in Sigüenza (Guadalajara) a Italian General´s grave. His remains were transferred to the Escudo Memorial. Then, the Italian Embassy offered a gun to Félix to protect the cemetery! Finally, the remains were transferred inside zinc boxes to Zaragoza in 1975.
The banner at the entrance of the memorial said. "The remains of the Italian legionaries fallen for Spain and its civilization remain here in the glory"
Attachments
Escudo pirámide Abilio y Félix.jpg
Escudo pirámide Abilio y Félix.jpg (58.05 KiB) Viewed 2037 times
Escudo pirámide lápida.jpg
Escudo pirámide lápida.jpg (74.44 KiB) Viewed 2036 times
Last edited by Óscar G on 03 Oct 2004, 17:18, edited 1 time in total.

Óscar G

Post by Óscar G » 03 Oct 2004, 14:51

Demetrio Fernández fought in the Republican side after the fall of Vizcaya. Although he´s 92 years old, his memory is very good. He can recall the fighting in Oviedo, the Jata mountain near Bermeo (“there were many casualties”) and how the suspension bridge on the Nervión in Portugalete was blown up after the Republican forces withdrew towards the road of Castro. Afterwards he was in the Nationalist side, in the staff of General Antonio Sagardía. Abilio had a similar “voyage”: he fought with the Republicans, but after the fall of Santander he fought with the Nationalist. His friendship with a Guardia Civil saved him from prison. He can recall his trip from Santander to Virtus. According to this memories, he walked without boots and saw a dead Italian soldier. His boots were welcome by Abilio.
Demetrio built every command post for Sagardía. Being in the Aran valley (the Pyrenees), he was ordered to contruct a memorial. It´d be the tribute to fallen of the 62. Division commanded by Sagardía. It´s located after the Carrales pass – looking to Burgos -, in the very place of the most fierce fighting in this area: La Escampada (Barrio de Bricia).

I´m glad to share this material with all of you. Best regards.
Óscar
Attachments
Demetrio Fernández.jpg
Demetrio Fernández.jpg (72.48 KiB) Viewed 2036 times

asiaticus

Post by asiaticus » 03 Oct 2004, 22:23

Thanks for these photos and text this is really great.

I am a little confused as to where Somaido peak (993 m.) and La Paradía (952 m) are located. I attach a map of the area of the advance. If you could mark it up indicating those locations it would be helpful.

Also was the area covered by the lake now, an open plain then?
Attachments
ROBREDO-DE-LA-PUEBLAS.JPG
ROBREDO-DE-LA-PUEBLAS.JPG (46.71 KiB) Viewed 2021 times

Óscar G

Post by Óscar G » 03 Oct 2004, 22:48

Hi Asiaticus:
Thanks for your kind comments. As for the location, I´ve marked on your map the place, but have also attached a more precise map (1:25.000). You must notice that the main town near those mountains is Cabañas de Virtus, at the road coming from Soncillo and Quintanaentello. Cilleruelo de Bezana would be down on the left, in the main road N-623.

The lake or "reservoir" (Pantano del Ebro) is made in the fifties. Anyway, I´ve told that the works began around 1930.
Regards. Óscar
Attachments
robredo-de-la-pueblas.jpg
robredo-de-la-pueblas.jpg (77.73 KiB) Viewed 2015 times
Somaido mapa.jpg
Somaido mapa.jpg (95.91 KiB) Viewed 2017 times

asiaticus

Post by asiaticus » 04 Oct 2004, 07:03

Ok. thanks that helps.

So this was the left flank of the defense. I can see why they are defending it. Especially if that road lead so close to the summit. I see from the map and photos that the hills have a cover of mostly low shrubs and some grass.

At that time did this mountain road, that passed La Paradía, continue north across the mountians to San Pedro de Romeral and the Valle de Pas? Or was the route N623 over the Escudo pass by the pyramid the only one?

Óscar G

Post by Óscar G » 04 Oct 2004, 23:27

Dear Asiaticus:
You are right, the landscape is formed by low shrubs and some grass. But the mountain road, a well done dirt track, leading to La Paradía has to do nothing with the road leading to San Pedro del Romeral. The latter begins in the crossroad located after passing Cabañas de Virtus (although this is the official name of the hamlet on the map, it´s really called Las Cabañas... Abilio says). So you will find in the attached image that there are two roads "rising" from the same place. The yellow one leads to San Pedro del Romeral (14 kms away from there) and two of them seem to be basic well defended routes to take the Escudo area. I´ve also marked the trenchs. To the best of my knowledge they were already made and "working" at that time.
All the best. Óscar
Attachments
mapa Escudo 1.jpg
mapa Escudo 1.jpg (238.31 KiB) Viewed 2004 times

asiaticus

Post by asiaticus » 05 Oct 2004, 01:46

Oh, I see. That clears things up a lot. The modern road map I have doesnt even have that road by La Paradia. Looks like it runs over to Robredo-de-la-Pueblas.

I am wondering what was stopping the Italians from bypassing the pass defenses by taking Concorte and coming up on its flank and rear?

I think the tank battle occured somewhere around Concorte or the Spa down the road. So maybe there was some force holding that area too.

Óscar G

Post by Óscar G » 05 Oct 2004, 23:15

Well, after "reconnoitring" the area, it can be admitted that it was a very well defended zone. The Republicans knew that holding the Escudo Pass had under their control Santander. The trenchs and fortifications were located on the summits and had both a good overview and control of the land between them and the Italian-Nationalist forces (controlling La Maza). The Italian forces attacked with decision, but a bit scattered when facing the Escudo area. Maybe this could form small groups easily harassed... Besides, they thought that there was no hard enemy in front of them. Someone there still remembers how the machineguns kept quiet and made the Italians think that the enemy had surrended. They began to parade and were strongly hit. I´m very convinced of these guesses after checking the trenches of Somaido... Simply perfect in order to beat and hit the enemy...
As for the tank battle, we asked Demetrio about it, but it seemed that he hadn´t heard of it. We have to bear in mind that he´s 92 and wasn´t there at that stage of the war. Anyway, the consulted source (book) states that it took place on the Corconte plateau... It´s logical. If we can defend Corconte, we will able to protected Reinosa. I must research about this unclear event.
On the other hand, you are right: the road to La Paradía leads to Robredo and Ahedo. These places were bombed from the Italian positions on La Maza.
By the way, please, can anyone post a photo of the "standard" Italian soldier by the Escudo battle? I mean, some picture showing the equipment, mainly boots, tunic, etc. It´s said that the M33 helmet was then in use...
Regards. Óscar.

asiaticus

Post by asiaticus » 06 Oct 2004, 04:27

It would be nice to get some clarification on the tank battle location and its circumstances. Since this was the most significant clash of armor in the North it seems a really interesting, and maybe critical, part of this whole operation. If the Republic had been able to neutralize the Italian armor the Italians would have had a difficult time making a rapid assault on the pass when their flanks were exposed to an armored incursion.
From what little I've been able to find about the it the battle seems to have been a draw which allowed the attack on the pass. From that and the fact that the Italians had to go right up the road to the heights instead of flanking it, it would seem to me that the Republic must still have held the town Concorte and perhaps the Balneario de Concorte.

Vulkan

Post by Vulkan » 13 Oct 2004, 17:40

Always remember to disregard the Pantano del Ebro. It wasn't there in 1937

Return to “Spanish Civil War & Legion Condor”