Guernica

Discussions on all aspects of the Spanish Civil War including the Condor Legion, the Germans fighting for Franco in the Spanish Civil War.
Vulkan

Post by Vulkan » 28 Sep 2004, 18:25

liki wrote:Hello everybody, I`m sorry but I can`t explain much about Gernika because my english is poor.
I would like tell you many thinks about Gernika, I live near Gernika and I know good the subjet.
I,m sure that people as Javichu or Vulkan could explain you in english all about Gernika.

Regards
Unfortunately, the Guernica bombing is today an issue greatly overloaded with political connotations and subject of unwanted historical revisionism, whether true or not, particularly from the Basque Autonomous Government.
So, you have to be carefull to distinguish fact from propaganda.

Pizarro

Post by Pizarro » 01 Oct 2004, 14:08

Guernika was bombed by the He-111 and Stukas of the Legion Condor. Initially, they tried to bomb the bridge and an ammo dump located near of the town (first wave) but the second and third wave bombed the city itself (direct orders from Franco) with incendiary bombs and machinegun fire, a vey bad weapons combination to destroy a bridge... that remained intact after the bombing.

Extensive documentation over the bombing is available in spanish literature, I don't know in english.

mars

Post by mars » 01 Oct 2004, 16:41

Pizarro, I believe no Ju-87 involved the Guernika bombing, and from most of the source, this bombing was ordered by Richthofen, Franco himself may not aware of it, it was just a tactic attack anyway.

menel

Post by menel » 14 Oct 2004, 19:09

Guernica was on an importand road to Bilbao. The target were the Renteria Bridge ower the river Oca and the railway station at the side of town.
At 4 PM bombers (Do 17 and He 111 from VB/88 ) attacked the station from low altitude using 250 and 50 kg bombs.
At 4.25 the bridge was attacked by 3 Italian bombers (Savoia S.79 from 205a Squadriglia) from altitude of 3600 m with 36 /50 kg bombs. Because of strong wind all bombs fell on the town. All the town and nearby terrain was covered by smoke.
Between 5.15 and 5.45 severall German bombers (Ju-52 from K/88 ) dropped their bombs "into the smoke" without aiming.
The returning pilots reported that finding the target is impossible but the commanders of K/88 send the bombers from VB/88 once again.
The last attack started about 7.30.
From "Legion Condor" (in polish)

Return to “Spanish Civil War & Legion Condor”