South Pacific Air War

Discussions on WW2 in the Pacific and the Sino-Japanese War.
wdgysin

South Pacific Air War

Post by wdgysin » 12 Dec 2018, 22:24

Hello All;
Just received the copies I ordered of South Pacific Air War Vols 1&2 by Michael Claringbould & Peter Ingman from Avonmore Books in
Australia. Anyone who is interested in the Japanese initial thrust into the southeast Pacific area and the initial operations in the Bismark's
and the Solomon's will be interested in these books. While they cover the aerial actions in some detail, they also keep them in context
with the bigger picture of what is happening theater wide. The books are well illustrated with plenty of maps and profile drawings of the
principle plane types involved.
If you are an avid fan of this period, as am I, these books will be well received. They give a more balanced view of Australian and allied
operations that were going on in theater while the US was trying to reinforce the line of communications to Australia and build up combat
power in the region.
Volume 1 covers Dec41-Mar42 dealing with the initial contacts of the RAAF and the IJN air forces, the fall of Rabaul, up to the period
just before Japanese forces landed in New Guinea. Vol 2 covers Mar42-Apr42 from the landings in Lae and Salamaua to just before the Port
Moresby operation. A planned third volume of the trilogy will cover the Tulagi operation, the MO Operation and the Battle of the Coral Sea.
I am looking forward to that one as there is little coverage of the allied air forces contribution to the battle aside from the naval forces.
Just wanted to make readers aware of these excellent books for anyone interested.

Pips

Re: South Pacific Air War

Post by Pips » 13 Dec 2018, 00:02

Agree. Volume 1 is excellent. Can't wait to receive Vol.2.

mclaring

Post by mclaring » 29 Jun 2019, 07:43

Volume 3 of South Pacific Air War should be available by end of August 2019. Please monitor https://avonmorebooks.com.au for release date and availability,

Thanks,

MC

tom!

Post by tom! » 30 Jun 2019, 09:41

Hi.

That´s something I want to Focus on in the near future.

Just bought them from a well known international online warehouse, name starting with a....

Yours

tom! :wink:

wdgysin

Post by wdgysin » 21 Sep 2019, 00:01

Hello all;

Just received my copy of South Pacific Air War Vol 3 in the mail from Avonmore Books in Australia. I have been doing OB research on the Coral
Sea Battle for a number of years trying to piece together the strategic picture. This is the first book I have found that covers all the players, IJN,
RAAF, USN, & USAAF forces. Most books focus on the IJN & USN carrier forces and not much else, ignoring the critical role played by the scouting
forces around the Coral Sea, especially the Japanese establishment of seaplane bases and the contributions (or lack thereof) of the USAAF bomb-
ers, RAAF forces and USN seaplane assets. This book is highly recommended for anyone interested in the subject and, with the other two
volumes, provides an in-depth look at the beginning of the war in the South Pacific area.

Return to “WW2 in the Pacific & Asia”