Coastwatcher Donald Kennedy

Discussions on WW2 in the Pacific and the Sino-Japanese War.
Peter H

Coastwatcher Donald Kennedy

Post by Peter H » 15 Oct 2008, 07:49

Seeking information on this man.A New Zealander,prone to drink,and called brutual by others.

"Coastwatcher Donald Kennedy (left) who was stationed at Segi on New Georgia during the Solomon Islands campaign in World War II".

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ennedy.jpg

Brian Altobello's Into the Shadows Furious:The Brutal Battle for New Georgia states that Kennedy's companion was a " seventeen-year-old Melanesian mistress, a gay soldier who specializes in female impersonation in camp shows". :o

The Battle of Marovo Lagoon

http://adventist.org.au/__data/assets/p ... l_6__1.pdf
Early on the morning of 19 May 1943 Kennedy, ironically using the commandeered Adventist mission schooner Dadavata, hove to off Telina and discovered Ragoso anda nother Adventist, Lodi, fishing from a canoe. He called for both men to be brought onboard. Upon boarding Ragoso was made a prisoner and the vessel proceeded to a small island.Whenever he asked what he had done wrong to deserve this,Kennedy responded with a “Shut up!” and made threat of immediate execution. Actually, beside dealing with Ragoso,Kennedy had other things on his mind. He was aware that a Japanese whaleboat was nearby and systematically reconnoitering the islets in the Marovo Lagoon. In keeping with his aggressive nature, Kennedy had previously armed the Dadavata with a .50mm machine gun. With the Japanese getting too close to his headquarters at Segi, he proceeded to attack and sink the Japanese boat and kill all its crew.

Peter H

Re: Coastwatcher Donald Kennedy

Post by Peter H » 15 Oct 2008, 07:53

http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/tei-W ... Epi-g.html
A District Officer on Santa Isabel, Major D. G. Kennedy, ‘a determined man of middle age with a strong personality’,* in common with the other members of the Protectorate administration, remained at his post. His reports of Japanese ships off Santa Isabel Island in May 1942 gave the needed warning for the evacuation of Tulagi, the capital of the Solomons Protectorate. Soon afterwards the hiding place of his own motor-boat was betrayed to the Japanese, but he was able to make his way in another vessel to Segi, a plantation on the southern coast of New Georgia, in a position protected by tortuous, uncharted channels through intricate coral reefs. From this new headquarters Kennedy organised coastwatching activities through the adjacent islands. The natives were instructed to avoid all dealings with the enemy and they proved themselves faithful and well-trained. A screen of scouts protected Kennedy's own dwelling. Natives watched for hostile aircraft and shipping and penetrated into the surrounding enemy-held territory by hazardous canoe voyages. On the few occasions when Japanese approached Segi by sea or by land, they were systematically wiped out to preserve the secret of the location of the headquarters. After the establishment of a Japanese base nine miles away on the same island, a patrol of twenty-five Japanese was sent out to find Segi. This patrol was ambushed at night and dispersed. In all these actions fifty-four Japanese were killed, while Kennedy and two natives were wounded.

Another of Kennedy's activities was to rescue airmen shot down over the neighbouring area. He paid the natives a standard reward of a bag of rice and a case of tinned meat for each airman, friend or foe, delivered to Segi. Twenty-two United States and twenty Japanese airmen were brought in; they were later collected by flying boat.

Michael Emrys

Post by Michael Emrys » 15 Oct 2008, 11:43

Peter,

I believe that The Coast Watchers by Commander Eric A. Feldt describes his activities although I don't recall it mentioning his nastier side. I was going to look in it to see what it has to say bout him, but couldn't locate my copy just now.

Michael
Incoming fire has the right of way.

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 18 Oct 2008, 15:06

Thanks David.

Kennedy was a headmaster of the Ellice Islands School.Received the US Navy Cross as well.Whatever his personal short comings (including beating the islanders)he was an effective soldier.

Peter

cuscus

Post by cuscus » 13 May 2011, 07:02

Hi, a late reply but I just joined the forum so better late than never.....

I am resident in Solomon Islands and descendants of Kennedy's scouts say yes the man could be a brute. No doubt though he was an effective coastwatcher and located in a very hot area.

I have never heard the story about his being gay though. I did read in a book recently, written by an infantry officer who served both in the later stages of the Guadalcanal battle and the battle for new georgia, that Kennedy was married to a Rennel Bellona woman who was eventually flown out in a Catalina as the Battle around Seghi / Munda reached it's peak.

adam

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 13 May 2011, 18:08

cuscus wrote:Hi, a late reply but I just joined the forum so better late than never.....

I am resident in Solomon Islands and descendants of Kennedy's scouts say yes the man could be a brute. No doubt though he was an effective coastwatcher and located in a very hot area.

I have never heard the story about his being gay though. I did read in a book recently, written by an infantry officer who served both in the later stages of the Guadalcanal battle and the battle for new georgia, that Kennedy was married to a Rennel Bellona woman who was eventually flown out in a Catalina as the Battle around Seghi / Munda reached it's peak.

adam
Brian Altobello's Into the Shadows Furious:The Brutal Battle for New Georgia states that Kennedy's companion was a " seventeen-year-old Melanesian mistress, a gay soldier who specializes in female impersonation in camp shows".
I would consider this an unfounded allegation until such time as proof becomes available. It could simply be that Kennedy kept the 17-year-old around because he was amusing and no hanky-panky was involved.

Return to “WW2 in the Pacific & Asia”