Desert Storm VS August Storm

Discussions on WW2 in the Pacific and the Sino-Japanese War.
mars

Desert Storm VS August Storm

Post by mars » 22 Mar 2003 07:11

I just got a copy of Col Daivd Glantz's "August Storm: The Soviet Strategic Offensive in Manchuria, 1945", here is something what attractive my eyes, at Preface (page XIX-XX) Col Glantz claimed that
"More recentlyrecently, Western study of 'August Storm' provided inspiration,concrete guidance and a virtual model for tis namesake Operation 'Desert Storm', the US-led coalition that crushed the Iraqi Army in 1991, US Military planners in the Gulf War initially inteded to name the offensive phase of the war agains Iraq 'Desert Sword' to match the defensive phase 'Desert Shield'. However, planning cells sent to the Gulf from Fort Leavenworth's School of Advance Military Studies, which had studied the Soviet Machurian offensive in detail, developed an offensive operational plan that replicated the Soviet offensive and named it "desert Storm'.
It looks like Col Glantz is very proud of this, becuase it was him who wrote this paper for US Military in 80's.
I am very interested to know if anyone could prove or disprove Col Glantz's claim.

Robert Rojas
In memoriam

RE: Desert Storm versus August Storm.

Post by Robert Rojas » 02 Apr 2003 09:29

Greetings to both citizen Mars and the community as a whole. In reference to your inquiry of Saturday - March 22, 2003 - 7:11am, you might want to peruse a thread entitled as COULD BE RELEVANT on the adjacent THE LOUNGE section of the forum. The author goes by the nom de plume of Oleg and its creation date is Sunday - March 30, 2003 - 5:28am. Citizen Oleg has posted reference materials which might OR might not be relevant to your particular historical interests. Incidentally, please allow yours truly to pass along my kudos for the originality of your moniker. Is not Mars the Roman god of war? I hope this little blurb has been of some assistance to you. In anycase, I would like to bid you a wonderful day in the Middle Kingdom.

Best Regards,
Uncle Bob 8)

mars

Post by mars » 02 Apr 2003 21:37

No, "Mars" stands for "Man come from Mars"

Return to “WW2 in the Pacific & Asia”