US Navy Southern Command

Discussions on WW2 in the Pacific and the Sino-Japanese War.
sanddoc

US Navy Southern Command

Post by sanddoc » 28 Nov 2016, 15:16

Hello Everyone

Well I got myself involved in the US Navy during WWII
Of course I have more questions that don't seem to be answered and here is the first
oh BTW all this got started because I came across the movie "The Gallant Hours" although
now that I have done some reading, the movie is about 20% accurate.
Anyway my first question is this, After ADM. Halsey took command, did he shift his headquarters
ashore at Nomea as his book indicates, although it is never stated directly, he never states that his "new quarters" ashore?
In the movie you are left to believe he was aboard the Argonne for months...
And for those that have seen the movie "The Gallant Hour" it is full of mistakes, bad information
which I really don't understand since it was produced by a former Navy officer and one would think that
being accurate is important...
Thanks
Bes

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Re: US Navy Southern Command

Post by OpanaPointer » 28 Nov 2016, 17:55

sanddoc wrote:Hello Everyone

Well I got myself involved in the US Navy during WWII
Of course I have more questions that don't seem to be answered and here is the first
oh BTW all this got started because I came across the movie "The Gallant Hours" although
now that I have done some reading, the movie is about 20% accurate.
Anyway my first question is this, After ADM. Halsey took command, did he shift his headquarters
ashore at Nomea as his book indicates, although it is never stated directly, he never states that his "new quarters" ashore?
And for those that have seen the movie "The Gallant Hour" it is full of mistakes, bad information
which I really don't understand since it was produced by a former Navy officer and one would think that
being accurate is important...
Thanks
Bes
The senior staff of the "Third" and "Fifth" fleets rotated, one planning the next operation while the other was executing plans previously made. After that invasion was complete the staffs would trade places and the start the cycle again. Obviously you can plan better while ashore without the limitations of being aboard a ship. The ships themselves switched from Third to Fifth and back again as necessary. High operations tempo kept them busy preparing for an operation, executing it, and then recovering, resupplying, and training for the next one.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

sanddoc

Post by sanddoc » 29 Nov 2016, 00:14

Hello
Thanks for the reply, but I think you missed my question. I do know about the 3 and 5 fleets, shared by
Halsey and Spruance, but I'm looking for information about Halsey's Souther Command Pacific
when he relived Adm. Ghormley, this occurred on or about the 18 Oct 42.

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 01 Dec 2016, 17:37

sanddoc wrote:....
Yes the HQ, that is the staff offices and a working office for Halsey were eventually moved ashore. A HQ was maintained afloat. There were pros and cons with fast access to secure communications equipment and practical working spaces afloat and ashore. The French were uncooperative in providing suitable space ashore. I can't point to any single source for this, but the subject frequently pops up briefly in the histories of the S Pacific war.

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 02 Dec 2016, 20:39

Carl Schwamberger wrote:
sanddoc wrote:....
Yes the HQ, that is the staff offices and a working office for Halsey were eventually moved ashore. A HQ was maintained afloat. There were pros and cons with fast access to secure communications equipment and practical working spaces afloat and ashore. The French were uncooperative in providing suitable space ashore. I can't point to any single source for this, but the subject frequently pops up briefly in the histories of the S Pacific war.
Prados refers to this in his latest book.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

Return to “WW2 in the Pacific & Asia”