Known Instances of Germans Stopping The Beating Of POWs By Japanese Guards

Discussions on WW2 in the Pacific and the Sino-Japanese War.
Edward L. Hsiao

Known Instances of Germans Stopping The Beating Of POWs By Japanese Guards

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 26 Apr 2019, 10:43

I believed that German servicemen stationed in Japan were outraged by the harsh treatment of Allied POWs by Japanese soldiers during WWII. I remember in one instance a German sailor stationed in Japan near the coast had seen a Japanese guard beating an Allied POW with his rifle. The German sailor had forcefully took the rifle from the Japanese guard's hands,wrestled the guard to the ground and later threw the guard in the water and drowned. I forgot what source it was that explain the German sailor's deed. Were there anymore instances of saving Allied POWs lives from the beatings of Japanese soldiers by German servicemen that you can think of? Relationships between German and Japanese military men doesn't always go smoothly. Thank you for letting me share.

Edward L. Hsiao :milwink:

mikegriffith1

Re: Known Instances of Germans Stopping The Beating Of POWs By Japanese Guards

Post by mikegriffith1 » 14 Jun 2020, 15:04

The Japanese army's treatment of American and Allied POWs was disgraceful. Making all allowances for the army's culture of brutality and inhumanity, and even acknowledging that the army's treatment of POWs was not quite as bad as it is usually portrayed, the army's conduct toward POWs was criminal and remains a huge stain on Japan's history. It is too bad that some of the worst offending officers escaped justice after the war, although many of them were caught, tried, and severely punished.

Return to “WW2 in the Pacific & Asia”