Battle of the Bismark Sea

Discussions on WW2 in the Pacific and the Sino-Japanese War.
Kingfish

Battle of the Bismark Sea

Post by Kingfish » 23 Nov 2019, 00:57

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of ... smarck_Sea
Some 2,700 survivors were taken to Rabaul by the destroyers. On 4 March, another 1,000 or so survivors were adrift on rafts.[54] On the evenings of 3–5 March, PT boats and planes attacked Japanese rescue vessels, as well as the survivors from the sunken vessels on life rafts and swimming or floating in the sea. This was later justified on the grounds that rescued servicemen would have been rapidly landed at their military destination and promptly returned to active service,[58] as well as being retaliation for the Japanese fighter planes attacking survivors of the downed B-17 bomber.[10] While many of the Allied aircrew accepted these attacks as being necessary, others were sickened.[59][51] On 6 March, the Japanese submarines I-17 and I-26 picked up 170 survivors. Two days later, I-26 found another 54 and put them ashore at Lae.[54] Hundreds made their way to various islands. One band of 18 survivors landed on Kiriwina, where they were captured by PT-114. Another made its way to Guadalcanal, only to be killed by an American patrol.[60]
That's a distance of over 1400km.

Anyone have any more information on this?
The gods do not deduct from a man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
~Babylonian Proverb

Return to “WW2 in the Pacific & Asia”