The Battle for Palembang

Discussions on WW2 in the Pacific and the Sino-Japanese War.
jwsleser

The Battle for Palembang

Post by jwsleser » 28 May 2022, 21:31

Batavian Lion International recently released P.C. Boer and R. Enthoven’s The Battle for Palembang 14-15 February 1942. Peter Boer has written many articles on the Dutch involvement in WW2 in the Pacific, and his book The Loss of Java provides a detailed looked at the events leading up to, and the loss of that island.

The Battle for Palembang 14-15 February 1942 is a detailed look at the battle for the town and refineries of Palembang in southern Sumatra. For most, the battle is best known for the Japanese employment of paratroops. The authors argue, successfully in my opinion, that the battle was mainly a failure for the paratroops. Instead the book details the failures of a handful of Dutch and British leaders, muddied by an unclear chain of command that allowed the Japanese to claim a victory they hadn’t really earned. The Allied problems at Palembang captured by the authors were echoed in many of the other island battles and the final campaign on Java.
Palembang.jpg
The authors use Dutch, British, Japanese, and Australian sources to craft this account of the battle. The Chapters are:

1. The Allied Defense, its organization and strength
2. The British/Australian air force reinforcement of the Palembang area.
3. The RAF/RAAF, MLD, and USAAF air operations, 8-13 February 1942
4. The Japanese advance and the deployment of the Combined Striking Force.
5. RAF/RAFF, USAAF and ML air operations on 14 February 1942
6. The land battle for Palembang I on 14 February.
7. The battle at the refineries and the redeployment of the KNIL units on 14-15 February 1942.
8. The naval, land, and air operations on 15 February 1942.

The battles are detailed at the platoon/company level. There are eight maps that help the reader follow the action. The book is rich with photographs, most of which are rarely seen pictures of the KNIL and ML forces.

There is a lot of information packed within the 148 pages. The most valuable for me was the detailed discussion and analysis of the Dutch forces. The use of Dutch ranks for the Japanese took a little reading to become comfortable and I did need to use the abbreviation list on pp. 146–147 a bit more than normal when reading military history.

Highly recommended for those interested in the NEI campaign.
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

Orwell1984

Re: The Battle for Palembang

Post by Orwell1984 » 28 May 2022, 23:38

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. He does excellent work.
Order placed!

jwsleser

Post by jwsleser » 08 Jun 2022, 15:07

I discussed with the Peter Boer ways to order the book for those not comfortable in dealing with Dutch websites. Here is his response.
Jeff, other members,
I see the problem but, fortunately, the publisher has found a solution. The book can be ordered in English by email at: [email protected]
Mention that you want to buy the book (it is not in their listings yet), cite the title, authors, publisher and the ISBN number (or give your intention to buy and ask for the costs first).
Peter Boer
ISBN is: 9789067077378

Pista! Jeff
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

Orwell1984

Post by Orwell1984 » 08 Jun 2022, 15:46

jwsleser wrote:
08 Jun 2022, 15:07
I discussed with the Peter Boer ways to order the book for those not comfortable in dealing with Dutch websites. Here is his response.
Jeff, other members,
I see the problem but, fortunately, the publisher has found a solution. The book can be ordered in English by email at: [email protected]
Mention that you want to buy the book (it is not in their listings yet), cite the title, authors, publisher and the ISBN number (or give your intention to buy and ask for the costs first).
Peter Boer
ISBN is: 9789067077378

Pista! Jeff
Thanks Jeff.
I ordered my copy through Amazon.fr after seeing your first post. Arrived in Canada yesterday.
Looks very good.
Any word on future works from the team? I've purchased the Batavian aviation title as well and willing to purchase future books too.

PS will be picking your Helion book on the Italian airborne when it's released too!

Return to “WW2 in the Pacific & Asia”