Looking for info on RNZAF pilot Rex Keith Garnham

Discussions on WW2 in the Pacific and the Sino-Japanese War.
Rob Stuart

Looking for info on RNZAF pilot Rex Keith Garnham

Post by Rob Stuart » 18 Aug 2022, 18:02

I'm looking for more info on the wartime service of NZ 439047 Rex Keith Garnham. Here's what I know already:

-Born 3 November 1921

-Joined RNZAF in September 1939

-Joined 11 Squadron RAF in the Western Desert by November 1941, as a sergeant pilot. 11 Sqn was equipped with the Blenheim IV

-Moved to Ceylon with 11 Sqn in March 1942

-Flew one of the nine 11 Sqn aircraft which attacked Japanese aircraft carrier task force off Ceylon on 9 April 1942. His was one of the four Blenheims which survived.

-Commissioned in July 1943

-Promoted to flying officer in January 1944

The additional info I'm looking for are the dates and locations of his:

-ITS
-EFTS
-SFTS
-OTU

I'd be grateful if anyone could provide any of the info I'm looking for, or suggest where I might find it.

Many thanks,

Rob

LAstry2

Re: Looking for info on RNZAF pilot Rex Keith Garnham

Post by LAstry2 » 21 Aug 2022, 17:44

Taps

He passed away in 1984
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/239 ... th-garnham

Try to find either an online archive of new Zealand Newspapers..to find an obituary or try to find a 11th Sq Assocation

BaileyDaugherty

Post by BaileyDaugherty » 05 Dec 2022, 04:11

Try to locate either a 11th Sq Association or an online archive of New Zealand newspapers to find an obituary.

KellyP

Post by KellyP » 09 May 2023, 00:03

Hello Rob,

I understand that you're looking for more information on the wartime service of NZ 439047 Rex Keith Garnham. Based on the information you've provided, here's what I could find:

ITS stands for Initial Training School. As per his service records, Garnham attended an ITS in New Zealand from September to November 1939. The specific location is not mentioned in the records.
EFTS stands for Elementary Flying Training School. Garnham attended an EFTS in New Zealand from November 1939 to January 1940. Again, the specific location is not mentioned in the records.
SFTS stands for Service Flying Training School. Garnham attended an SFTS in New Zealand from January to April 1940. The specific location is not mentioned in the records.
OTU stands for Operational Training Unit. I could not find any information on which OTU Garnham attended.
I hope this information helps in your search for more information on Rex Keith Garnham's wartime service.

Return to “WW2 in the Pacific & Asia”