Cancelled attack on Wake Island January 1942

Discussions on WW2 in the Pacific and the Sino-Japanese War.
Jordi Comas

Cancelled attack on Wake Island January 1942

Post by Jordi Comas » 17 Jun 2023 19:46

Hi all!

TF-11 with CV Lexington departed Pearl Harbor on January 1942 to attack Wake Island but the operation was aborted when Oiler Neches was sunk by I-6 on the 23rd. I'm trying to find out what others ships formed the Task Force.

Thank you very much
Jordi

Kingfish

Re: Cancelled attack on Wake Island January 1942

Post by Kingfish » 17 Jun 2023 23:49

CA: Astoria, Minneapolis, Chicago
DD: MacDonough, Monaghan, Jarvis, Worden

http://pacific.valka.cz/forces/
The gods do not deduct from a man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
~Babylonian Proverb

Jordi Comas

Post by Jordi Comas » 18 Jun 2023 07:50

Thank you,

Right, but there were 5 more destroyers on TF-11..........9 in total

Regards
Jordi

EwenS

Post by EwenS » 18 Jun 2023 15:55

Rohwer & Hummelchen in “Chronology of the War at Sea 1939-1945” list TF11 as comprising the following when it left Pearl Harbor on 22nd Jan to raid Wake:-

Lexington
Minneapolis Indianapolis, Pensacola & San Francisco
Phelps, Dewey, MacDonough, Hull, Aylwin, Dale, Clark, Patterson, Bagley & Drayton.

Plus of course the tanker Neches was also in the vicinity when sunk by I-72 (not I-6) on 23rd Jan

I-6 pulled into Kwajalein on 22nd Jan to refuel and didn’t leave until 24th. See her TROM here.
http://www.combinedfleet.com/I-6.htm

TROM for I-72 (later renumbered I-172) here including details of the sinking of Neches.
http://www.combinedfleet.com/I-172.htm

Jordi Comas

Post by Jordi Comas » 18 Jun 2023 19:37

Thank you very much

Regards

AginAf

Post by AginAf » 13 Jul 2023 21:13

THE PSYCHOLOGICAL EFFECTS OF THE IJN ATTCK ON PEARL HARBOR ON 07/12/BLASTED THE U.S. NAVY LEADERSHIP HUBRIS ABOUT THER SUPERIORITY OVER THE IJN. THEY WERE SHOCKED AND DAZED BY IT. SUDDENLY THEY REALIZED THAT THEIR UNDERTRAINED, UNDER EQUIPPED, & AGING BATTLE FORCE WAS FACING THE BEST NAVY ON THE PLANET AT THAT TIME. MOST COULD NOT COPE WITH THE IDEA - ESPECIALLY ADMIRAL PYE, A BONA FIDE GUN CLUB MEMBER, WHO HAD COMMANDED THE PACFLEET BATTLE LINE BEFORE IT WAS ALMOST COMPLETELY DESTROYED AT PEARL HARBOR. PYE FILLED IN AS PACFLEET COMMANDER AFTER ADMIRAL KIMMEL WAS FIRED, AND WOULD REMAIN IN CHARGE UNTIL NIMITZ WOULD ARRIVE.

THE DAZED AND FRIGHTENED PYE ORGANIZED THE RELIEF FORCE FOR WAKE ISLAND, AND PUT IT UNDER COMMAND OF ADM FRANK JACK FLETCHER, NOT THE MOST AGGRESSIVE OF COMMANDERS, WHO LATER BECAME FAMOUS FOR WITHDRAWING TO REUEL EVERY TIME THE IJN FLEET WOULD SHOW UP. THAT WAS EXACTLY WHAT HE DID WITH THE TASK FORCE SENT TO RESCUE WAKE - AND SO HE WAS TOO SLOW AND TOO LATE TO HELP THE BESIEGED MARINES AT WAKE, AND PYE ORDERED HIS WITHDRAWAL BACK TO HAWAII.

THIS WAS NOT THE LAST TIME THE NAVY WOULD RUN AND LEAVE MARINES MAROONED ON A BEACH WITH AN EMPTY SEA BEHIND THEM BEING FILLED BY THE IJN WHOSE FIRES MURDERED THEM IN THEIR FOXHOLES, AND DESTROYED THEIR AIRCRAFT. IT WOULD HAPPEN AGAIN AT GUADALCANAL, AND AGAIN FLETCHER WAS IN PART INVOLVED IN THE DECISION TO RUN.

NOT THE U.S, NAVY''S FINEST MOMENT - AND YET, TODAY'S NAVY'S HISTORIANS TENDS TO TRY TO RESCUE FLETCHER'S REPUTATION IN SPITE OF CONTEMPORARY SAM MORRISON'S HIGHLY CRITICAL REMARKS ABOUT HIS CHEQUERED WWII CAREER.

AginAf

Post by AginAf » 13 Jul 2023 21:47

ENROUTE WAKE, FLETCHER COULD HAVE REFUELED LEXINGTON AND 4 DESTROYERS OFF THE SEAPLANE TENDER AND 2 OF THE CRUISERS,AND SENT THEM BACK TO PEARL. ON RETURNING, HE COULD HAVE REQUESTED A REPLACEMENT OILER RENDEZVUE. BUT, HE WAS AT BEST, TIMID.WWII WAS A NOT NAVAL FIGHT THAT LENT ITSELF TO TIMID LEADERSHIP.

Lethl215

Post by Lethl215 » 19 Jul 2023 23:36

AginAf wrote:
13 Jul 2023 21:47
ENROUTE WAKE, FLETCHER COULD HAVE REFUELED LEXINGTON AND 4 DESTROYERS OFF THE SEAPLANE TENDER AND 2 OF THE CRUISERS,AND SENT THEM BACK TO PEARL. ON RETURNING, HE COULD HAVE REQUESTED A REPLACEMENT OILER RENDEZVUE. BUT, HE WAS AT BEST, TIMID.WWII WAS A NOT NAVAL FIGHT THAT LENT ITSELF TO TIMID LEADERSHIP.
AginAf wrote:
13 Jul 2023 21:13
THE PSYCHOLOGICAL EFFECTS OF THE IJN ATTCK ON PEARL HARBOR ON 07/12/BLASTED THE U.S. NAVY LEADERSHIP HUBRIS ABOUT THER SUPERIORITY OVER THE IJN. THEY WERE SHOCKED AND DAZED BY IT. SUDDENLY THEY REALIZED THAT THEIR UNDERTRAINED, UNDER EQUIPPED, & AGING BATTLE FORCE WAS FACING THE BEST NAVY ON THE PLANET AT THAT TIME. MOST COULD NOT COPE WITH THE IDEA - ESPECIALLY ADMIRAL PYE, A BONA FIDE GUN CLUB MEMBER, WHO HAD COMMANDED THE PACFLEET BATTLE LINE BEFORE IT WAS ALMOST COMPLETELY DESTROYED AT PEARL HARBOR. PYE FILLED IN AS PACFLEET COMMANDER AFTER ADMIRAL KIMMEL WAS FIRED, AND WOULD REMAIN IN CHARGE UNTIL NIMITZ WOULD ARRIVE.

THE DAZED AND FRIGHTENED PYE ORGANIZED THE RELIEF FORCE FOR WAKE ISLAND, AND PUT IT UNDER COMMAND OF ADM FRANK JACK FLETCHER, NOT THE MOST AGGRESSIVE OF COMMANDERS, WHO LATER BECAME FAMOUS FOR WITHDRAWING TO REUEL EVERY TIME THE IJN FLEET WOULD SHOW UP. THAT WAS EXACTLY WHAT HE DID WITH THE TASK FORCE SENT TO RESCUE WAKE - AND SO HE WAS TOO SLOW AND TOO LATE TO HELP THE BESIEGED MARINES AT WAKE, AND PYE ORDERED HIS WITHDRAWAL BACK TO HAWAII.

THIS WAS NOT THE LAST TIME THE NAVY WOULD RUN AND LEAVE MARINES MAROONED ON A BEACH WITH AN EMPTY SEA BEHIND THEM BEING FILLED BY THE IJN WHOSE FIRES MURDERED THEM IN THEIR FOXHOLES, AND DESTROYED THEIR AIRCRAFT. IT WOULD HAPPEN AGAIN AT GUADALCANAL, AND AGAIN FLETCHER WAS IN PART INVOLVED IN THE DECISION TO RUN.

NOT THE U.S, NAVY''S FINEST MOMENT - AND YET, TODAY'S NAVY'S HISTORIANS TENDS TO TRY TO RESCUE FLETCHER'S REPUTATION IN SPITE OF CONTEMPORARY SAM MORRISON'S HIGHLY CRITICAL REMARKS ABOUT HIS CHEQUERED WWII CAREER.
A lot of this incendiary rant disregards reality and is written as if ChatGPT was given preconceived parameters. Recommend you review the Gray Book Volume 1. Start at the beginning, then go to the pertinent testimony within the Roberts Commission. Put yourself back in December 1941 with what they knew then, not with what you know now, and what Morison thinks he knew in 1947/53. He'd be the first one to tell you: No history written during or shortly after the event it describes can pretend to be completely objective or even reasonably definitive. Facts that I know not will come to light; others that I discarded will be brought out and incorporated in new patterns of interpretation.

R Leonard

Post by R Leonard » 20 Jul 2023 00:28

Lethl215 wrote: Recommend you review the Gray Book Volume 1. Start at the beginning, then go to the pertinent testimony within the Roberts Commission. Put yourself back in December 1941 with what they knew then, not with what you know now . . .
Absolutely correct!

Don't listen to or regurgitate the BS from every Tom, Dick, and Harry on the internet; go to the source documents.

Return to “WW2 in the Pacific & Asia”