503rd PIR Photo Album Pacific Theater

Discussions on WW2 in the Pacific and the Sino-Japanese War.
Caldric

503rd PIR Photo Album Pacific Theater

Post by Caldric » 07 Aug 2003 01:24

If you have never seen this web resource I would recommend it. This is a great place to get an idea of the war in the Pacific and take a look back in time.

One thing that is always obvious to me about these images and others I have seen, is that paratroopers and SF type soldiers are always seem to be the lean almost geeky looking guys. I mean that with no offense intended at all, but the idea of Rambo looking guys is just nonsense, looking at this album shows without a doubt the 6 foot or so 150 to 170 pounds seems to be the norm. The 503rd PIR is by no means "regular" Army. Perhaps that is the best weight and body type for such tasks, such as mountain climbers being lean people in most circumstances.

Also there are some very graphic images of Japanese cannibalized corpse, for any that have doubted the Japanese resorting to cabalism this may give you a different opinion. The images are page 9 of the album so fair warning.

http://thedropzone.org/scrapbook/scrap1.html

Xanthro

Post by Xanthro » 07 Aug 2003 01:31

Caldric wrote:Also there are some very graphic images of Japanese cannibalized corpse, for any that have doubted the Japanese resorting to cabalism this may give you a different opinion
I don't see anything wrong with eating your dead comrades to stay alive. If it meant saving my friends, I'd want them to eat me if I died.

The Japanese continued to resist in completely hopeless situations. Starvation and disease just overwhelming entire units.

I wouldn't condem any soldier who resorted to cannabalism under those circumstances.

Xanthro

Dan W.
Financial supporter

Re: 503rd PIR Photo Album Pacific Theater

Post by Dan W. » 07 Aug 2003 01:37

Caldric wrote: One thing that is always obvious to me about these images and others I have seen, is that paratroopers and SF type soldiers are always seem to be the lean almost geeky looking guys. I mean that with no offense intended at all, but the idea of Rambo looking guys is just nonsense, looking at this album shows without a doubt the 6 foot or so 150 to 170 pounds seems to be the norm.
It is important to note that people were smaller back then. If you shop for an authentic WWII impression and you are my size (6 ft., 210 lbs.) you will often have trouble finding stuff that fits on eBay or through military surplus because soldiers of this era were shorter and lighter than Americans today. Just look at how much bigger the NFL has gotten over the years, and Americans in general.
Caldric wrote: Also there are some very graphic images of Japanese cannibalized corpse, for any that have doubted the Japanese resorting to cabalism this may give you a different opinion. The images are page 9 of the album so fair warning.
This could very well have been the result of an artillery blast, a mortar round, a naval gun, a couple .50 cal rounds, lots of things can dismember a body.

ttp://thedropzone.org/scrapbook/scrap1.html

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 07 Aug 2003 01:39

Yes it could be from battle, but looking at the emaciated state of the captured Japanese soldier smoking the cigarette I would think it could be from being ate also. Or being sliced to be ate.

Lawrence Tandy

Post by Lawrence Tandy » 07 Aug 2003 01:43

Quote:

Dan said, "This could very well have been the result of an artillery blast, a mortar round, a naval gun, a couple .50 cal rounds, lots of things can dismember a body. "

If you look carefully at the one picture, the meat on the thighs has be cleanly removed. From the buttocks up and from the knees down is untouched, but the meat from the muscular part of the legs is completely gone. IMO too clean for an arty blast or combat wound.
Last edited by Lawrence Tandy on 09 Aug 2003 20:53, edited 1 time in total.

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 08 Aug 2003 05:58

For more on the subject of cannibalism allegations against the Imperial Japanese forces, see "Japanese War Crimes: The Wewak Trial" at:

http://www.thirdreichforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=21498

Return to “WW2 in the Pacific & Asia”