The bombing of Nagasaki

Discussions on WW2 in the Pacific and the Sino-Japanese War.
Cezarprimo

The bombing of Nagasaki

Post by Cezarprimo » 12 Jul 2004, 17:54

Hello everybody,

It may be that this has already been discussed before... but however, here is my question:

Was the second atom bomb really necessary ?

I personally belive that the even the first one was an overkill, but I can understand points like:

- american and allied lives had to be saved
- the japanese would never have surrended without it (despite the fact that the Allies were aware that at least a part of the japanese leadership was reaching for peace)
- they need to put a halt to the expansion of SU's influence and establish a new balance in the world politics.
- feel free to add here whatever you like... :)

Now that we are finished with this enumeration, what reasons are there for the second bomb ?

Best regards

WalterS

Post by WalterS » 12 Jul 2004, 21:36

The Japanese began the war from the air at Pearl Harbor. They have been repaid many fold."
("Public Papers of the Presidents: Harry S Truman, 1945", pg. 197).

"Having found the bomb we have used it. We have used it against those who attacked us without warning at Pearl Harbor, against those who have starved and beaten and executed American prisoners of war, against those who have abandoned all pretense of obeying international laws of warfare. We have used it in order to shorten the agony of war, in order to save the lives of thousands and thousands of young Americans."
("Public Papers of the Presidents: Harry S Truman, 1945", pg. 212).

An invasion of the Japanese home islands would have resulted in many more deaths, Allied and Japanese, than those resulting from the two atomic bombs. The militarists who still controlled the Japanese government were mobilizing for a suicidal last defence. The Americans had just been through the bloody campaigns of Iwo Jima and Okinawa and, rightly in my view, feared enormous casualties.

President Truman never regretted his decision to drop the bombs.

"Had there been no Pearl Harbor, there would have been no Hiroshima."

Harry S Truman

The decision to drop the second bomb was made because nothing had been heard from the Japanese Government in response to calls for surrender after the first bomb was dropped.

Goldfish

Post by Goldfish » 13 Jul 2004, 00:14

I think the main point here is that the Japanese military leadership was still unwilling to surrender. Even after Nagasaki and the Emperor's decision to surrender, military leaders in Tokyo planned to overthrow the cabinet, destroy the Emperor's recorded surrender message, and force the country to continue the war. Only the decision of General Anami to kill himself rather than join the plotters caused the plot to fail.
A lot has been made of the fact that Japan was willing to surrender long before Hiroshima, but it is often forgotten that what Japan wanted was a negotiated surrender that would still leave them in control of Korea, Taiwan, Manchuria, Shandong Penninsula and other parts of China, and some other territories captured during the war. They also wanted to maintain their military government. The Allies, especially the Chinese, would never accept this.
The option, therefore, was to force Japan to accept the Potsdam Declaration. This could be accomplished by seige, invasion, or the use of the atomic bombs. In the end, the atomic bombs were the fastest and involved the lowest cost in lives. An invasion could have resulted in the deaths of around ten million Japanese and left large parts of Japan in ruins. A seige could have certainly killed millions through starvation (and the war in other theaters (China, Southeast Asia) would have gone on. The bombs killed 70,000 to 200,000 (less than the March 1945 firebombing of Tokyo or the 1937-38 Rape of Nanking) and ended the war right away, allowing relief aid and food to get into Japan and repatriated Japanese soldiers to return quickly to rebuild Japan.
The atomic bombs were horrible weapons and I hope that nuclear and atomic weapons are never used again, but in this case, the alternatives were far worse.

Cezarprimo

Post by Cezarprimo » 13 Jul 2004, 19:18

WalterS wrote: President Truman never regretted his decision to drop the bombs.

"Had there been no Pearl Harbor, there would have been no Hiroshima."

Harry S Truman
I think it's pretty unbalanced (to say the least) to compare the two of them like this...
WalterS wrote: The decision to drop the second bomb was made because nothing had been heard from the Japanese Government in response to calls for surrender after the first bomb was dropped.
This is funny, the second bomb came within three days !!! They had no time to react.
Goldfish wrote: I think the main point here is that the Japanese military leadership was still unwilling to surrender. Even after Nagasaki and the Emperor's decision to surrender, military leaders in Tokyo planned to overthrow the cabinet, destroy the Emperor's recorded surrender message, and force the country to continue the war.
I know that some of Japan's military leadership was against the surrender, but what better proof do you want against this argumentation in favor of the bomb than the fact that despite the oppostion of the military Japan surrendered nevertheless (some 5 days after Nagasaki).

As I've said before, the second bomb came so suddenly after the first that the japanese didn't have time to react.

Regards

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 14 Jul 2004, 06:54

Please add to the other threads that exist on this matter within the forum

Andy H

Goldfish

Post by Goldfish » 14 Jul 2004, 12:01

I have placed my reply (and will place all further posts on this topic) in the "America got it right when it nuked Hiroshima and Nagasaki" thread.

Return to “WW2 in the Pacific & Asia”