"A Bastard of a Place" by Peter Brune

Discussions on WW2 in the Pacific and the Sino-Japanese War.
Barry Graham

"A Bastard of a Place" by Peter Brune

Post by Barry Graham » 26 Nov 2004, 03:39

I'm new here - I came across this site while doing some follow up research after reading Peter Brune's book.
Although I was born just before WWII I had never really appreciated the contribution of the Militia and the AIF in the defence of Papua.
The history I knew was clouded by the official line of MacArthur, Blamey et al.
"A Bastard of a Place" runs to 700 pages but I couldn't put it down - the documentation of the fighting first of all and the inability of high command to appreciate the terrain and the difficulty of supply - and then to throw the blame on the field officers amazed me.
According to Brune - Kokoda, Milne Bay, Gona, Buna, Sanananda should all go down in history along with Anzac Cove as triumph over adversity - poor command, questionable tactics, lack of effective recon and underestimation of the numbers and fighting qualities of the enemy.
Has any any other contributor here read this book?
I'd be interested in their comments on the factuality and the criticial undertone of the author.

Larso

Post by Larso » 27 Nov 2004, 13:57

I haven't read Brunes book probably because I felt that Lex McAulay's 'Blood and Iron' (Kokoda) and 'To the Bitter End' (Gona, Buna etc) couldn't be topped. (I was probably also watching my money). But yes McAulay and now Paul Ham in 'Kokoda' really give it to Blamey and MacArthur (and Churchill for earlier stuff). I even said today to a friend that we won when everything dictated that we should loose. The scale of incompetence was huge. The lack of recognition of Honner, Potts and Rowell (Kokoda) and Clowes (Milne Bay) was equally scandalous.

By the way on Brunes book, what are the veterans recollections like? Does he create a real feel for the battle? McAulay does it well but Ham less so, though his scope is wider. I'll start a thread on his book soon.

Barry Graham

Post by Barry Graham » 27 Nov 2004, 14:34

I found his battle description enthralling and yes there are plenty of personal recollections.
I think you would enoy this book as much as I did - highly readable, detailed and controversial.
I can't give you much detail at the moment - I've lent the book to a Vietnam Vet neighbour.

Treat yourself for Christmas - it's a must !
When you do read it - and you will - post a review in reply - Thanks in advance.

Return to “WW2 in the Pacific & Asia”