Movies about Australia's Pacific war

Discussions on WW2 in the Pacific and the Sino-Japanese War.
Larso

Movies about Australia's Pacific war

Post by Larso » 07 Dec 2004, 01:56

Even though there's been a lot of time to do so it seems to me that very few films have been made about Australia's experiences in the Pacific. There was one about the tragic consequences of the second raid on Singapore (with Craig McLauchlan I think) another about Z Force (where an injured Mel Gibson is shot by his commander in the first scene - and I can't remember a thing beyond that) but I can't think of much else. Oh a Jason Donovan one about a Japanese sniper (a singer in real life from memory) but I can't remember any other details about it. Are there any more?

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 10 Dec 2004, 13:56

The only thing that comes to mind was the silly 'SpyForce' TV series:

http://www.nostalgiacentral.com/tv/drama/spyforce.htm

Regards,
Peter

P.S. Cast members included a 6 year old Russell Crowe!

http://www.russellcroweheaven.com/Unearthed/spy5.jpg

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 10 Dec 2004, 14:10

Of course Damien Parer's documentary Kokoda Frontline should also be mentioned,but it was a WW2 release.

Parer was killed filming the Marines on Pelelui in 1944.

http://sunday.ninemsn.com.au/sunday/fea ... e_1540.asp

http://www.awm.gov.au/people/78005.asp

Phil V

Re: Movies about Australia's Pacific war

Post by Phil V » 10 Dec 2004, 14:46

Larso wrote:Even though there's been a lot of time to do so it seems to me that very few films have been made about Australia's experiences in the Pacific. There was one about the tragic consequences of the second raid on Singapore (with Craig McLauchlan I think) another about Z Force (where an injured Mel Gibson is shot by his commander in the first scene - and I can't remember a thing beyond that) but I can't think of much else. Oh a Jason Donovan one about a Japanese sniper (a singer in real life from memory) but I can't remember any other details about it. Are there any more?
The Heroes.
Heroes 2 : The Return.
Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence (bit of a stretch).
Changi (mini series).
Angels of War (good doco focusing on PNG).
Blood Oath (Bryan Brown)

I remember a drama movie made in the 60's about Australian Air Spotters working in remote Pacific locations. I'll try and find the title.

P

(If you call Jason Donovan a singer I will have to report you to the moderators for telling mistruths :wink: ).

Larso

Post by Larso » 11 Dec 2004, 03:34

I thought I'd be in more trouble for calling him an actor!!!

Seriously, thanks for those submissions. TV wise The Sullivans would also qualify in a way. I'm also sure I read somewhere that there was a projected film about fighting in the islands - it was to have Russel Crowe as a commander of a militia battalion, which was unusual enough to stick in my memory. This wasn't that long ago either.

red devil

Post by red devil » 12 Dec 2004, 15:47

These days films tend to be more historically accurate but oh those films of the 40s and 50s and 60s; how America won is beyond me? I mean, they were so hot nobody would have attacked them. I think the first historically accurate film I ever saw was Tora Tora. If the Australian film industry make any, lets hope they are accurate and not more "Neighbours" style!!! Not that I have ever watched it mind!

Dan W.

Post by Dan W. » 15 Dec 2004, 03:19

The Highest Honor - Great movie, one of my favorites

To End All Wars

I thought there were Aussies portrayed in this one but it turns out they are supposed to be Scots.

Dan W.

Re: Movies about Australia's Pacific war

Post by Dan W. » 16 Dec 2004, 05:19

Phil V wrote: Blood Oath (Bryan Brown)
This one also goes by Prisoners of the Sun, and has an unknown
Russell Crowe playing Lt. Jack Corbett

Return to “WW2 in the Pacific & Asia”