American ship escaping from Pearl Harbor?

Discussions on WW2 in the Pacific and the Sino-Japanese War.
Petterson

American ship escaping from Pearl Harbor?

Post by Petterson » 11 Feb 2005, 08:34

Can somebody help to find out answer to next dilemma? - As far as I know there was one American battleship which managed to from Pearl Harbor DURING the Japanese air attack.

What was name of that particular ship?

Major Major

Post by Major Major » 11 Feb 2005, 15:07

USS Nevada attempted to escape, but due to damage and continued attacks, was grounded to prevent being sunk in the channel. Her acting commanding officer, Lieutenant-Commander Francis J. Thomas, received the Navy Cross for his command of the ship during the attack.
The Nevada was raised, repaired, employed as a bombardment ship, and expended as a target in the Bikini Atoll atom-bomb tests. Thomas was later promoted to Rear-Admiral, and died in January 2005.

JamesL

Post by JamesL » 11 Feb 2005, 19:41

Having recently been to Pearl Harbor I think it was a good idea to beach NEVADA. The entrance to the harbor is very narrow and had the NEVADA been sunk there, she would have truly fouled things up for the US fleet.

While landing at Honolulu aboard a small prop job, I watched the USS CHOSIN sail out of the harbor. Very little room on each side of her.

Pearl Harbor is pretty empty these days, except for the Mothball Fleet in the West Loch.

Edward L. Hsiao

Graveyard Harbor!

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 15 Feb 2005, 22:39

Gentlemen,

Forgive me for saying this,but I think Pearl Harbor should be renamed "Graveyard Harbor" because of the dead which was in the sunken wrecks of the USS Arizona and the USS Utah. Also the oil which is still leaking from the wreck of the USS Arizona makes the harbor even worse! Just one of my grim humors. To hear about this sunken battleship named after the state which I lived presently, makes feel depressed and devestated. Someday I'll move out of the state of Arizona! :cry:

Sincerely,

Edward

temujin77

Re: Graveyard Harbor!

Post by temujin77 » 16 Feb 2005, 01:08

Edward L. Hsiao wrote:Gentlemen,

Forgive me for saying this,but I think Pearl Harbor should be renamed "Graveyard Harbor" because of the dead which was in the sunken wrecks of the USS Arizona and the USS Utah. Also the oil which is still leaking from the wreck of the USS Arizona makes the harbor even worse! Just one of my grim humors. To hear about this sunken battleship named after the state which I lived presently, makes feel depressed and devestated. Someday I'll move out of the state of Arizona! :cry:

Sincerely,

Edward
They named the ship before the Japanese sunk it, Edward :) They didn't wait til it was on the bottom of the harbor and say "hey, let's name her Arizona because we have something against that state!" Hehe. Arizona is a beautiful state... I loved the desert drive from Las Vegas to Grand Canyon when I was there last year.

Back on topic. The Nevada attempted to escape, but from the version of the history I read, the captain realized while underway that there was no way the ship would've made it, and the result would block the harbor for months. So he decided to steer the ship, and ran aground purposedly.

Edward L. Hsiao

What I Meant!

Post by Edward L. Hsiao » 16 Feb 2005, 08:34

Dear Sir,

Perhaps I wasn't clear with my statement. What I meant was that the USS Arizona named after the state I grew up in was sunk by Japanese planes at Pearl Harbor and never raised. That devestated me in knowing that the battleship named after my homestate remains a sunken tomb for thousands of sailors and that there will be no new navy ship that would become a new USS Arizona. :(

Edward

Galahad

re: name USS Arizona

Post by Galahad » 22 Feb 2005, 06:09

Arizona was decomissioned and struck from the Navy List, so there's nothing that bars another Arizona in the Fleet--except maybe the memory of the BB. Other sunken warships have had successors named for them.....USS Houston and USS Vincennes, to name but two.

Return to “WW2 in the Pacific & Asia”