German speaking people, please help... (fallschirmjäger?)

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
kriegserinnerungen

German speaking people, please help... (fallschirmjäger?)

Post by kriegserinnerungen » 15 Jan 2003 18:33

I have a set of feldpostletters from a luftwaffe soldier. On one page I can read:

"Vielleicht verstehen Sie es auch nicht, dass ich nun meine frontbewährung bei den Fallschirmjägern erfülle. Vorlaufig tue ich noch hier meinen Dienst und es wird noch eine Weile dauern, ehe ich abberufen werde..."

Errors in the german language are my fault, because of its difficult readability.
Does this mean he serves in a paratrooper company, is he himself a paratrooper,... Or can't you say anything reading these sentences?

Thanks for the help

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

sentence

Post by Christoph Awender » 15 Jan 2003 19:24

Well, out of this sentence you can´t say if he is a paratrooper or not.

\Christoph

feldmarshal

German translation.

Post by feldmarshal » 18 Jan 2003 09:11

""Vielleicht verstehen Sie es auch nicht, dass ich nun meine frontbewährung bei den Fallschirmjägern erfülle. Vorlaufig tue ich noch hier meinen Dienst und es wird noch eine Weile dauern, ehe ich abberufen werde..."
" literally means " Maybe you will not understand why it is that I am now serving at the front with the parachutists. For the moment, I am doing my my duty and it should still last a while, before I am called off . ."

so I would have to disagree with Christophe (sorry!) and say that indeed, this man was clearly serving with the parachutists . . . .

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

sentence..

Post by Christoph Awender » 18 Jan 2003 14:44

No doubt that he serves with a parchute unit... BUT he doens not say that he is one. Serving in a parachute unit does not necessarily mean he is one.

\Christoph

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”