Translation of Wehrmacht Signs

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
Robert Hurst

Translation of Wehrmacht Signs

Post by Robert Hurst » 24 Jan 2003, 15:59

Hi

I would be most grateful If some one could help translate the attached Wehrmacht signs.

The signs were scanned from 'German Vehicles in World War II: Cars of the Wehrmacht, A Photo Chronicle', by Reinhard Frank.

Regards

Bob
Attachments
Wehrmacht Signs.jpg
Wehrmacht Signs.jpg (35.39 KiB) Viewed 2138 times

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 24 Jan 2003, 16:40

The first sign says that you should park your vehicle at this spot so that you can sleep well at night (not sure on that) because it's a war going on, the other sign is a warning that trucks may sink into the ground. Lastly the third sign says 'Keep a distance of 40 meter, you have not left the Rollbahn'.

I hope this helps!

Best regards/ Daniel

Robert Hurst

Post by Robert Hurst » 24 Jan 2003, 16:45

Hi Daniel

Thanks for the quick response.

Regards

Bob

Karl da Kraut

Post by Karl da Kraut » 24 Jan 2003, 21:14

I'll have a try, but since im no master-interpreter my translation will be far from perfect.

The first sign is obviosly meant ironically: "Park your car right here on this spot, so everyone will run into it at night. It's war, after all."
(Sounds more comfortable than "Parken verboten", doesn't it?) The text is somewhat colloquial, therefore a literal translation appears impossible.

The first part of the second sign warns that vehicles may sink into the ground. The second part seems ton give the reason for this danger, but it doesn't make sense to me.

The third sign reads: "Keep a distance of 40 metres. You have not leased (rented?) this Rollbahn."[/quote]

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 25 Jan 2003, 04:36

Perhaps it means something like 'you don't OWN the Rollbahn', any comments?

Best regards/ Daniel
Last edited by Daniel L on 25 Jan 2003, 05:56, edited 1 time in total.

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

signs

Post by Christoph Awender » 25 Jan 2003, 05:06

Literally it meas "rent" and it means "you don´t own it" like Daniel said.

The second sign means that you must not use the same way as the vehicle which passed before. If every vehicle uses the same way as the one before these lanes get deeper and deeper and the next vehicle gets stuck. If you use another lane every time the mud is dispersed even.

\Christoph

tvanputten

Post by tvanputten » 15 Feb 2003, 12:22

I'll have a try...

Baue Deinen Wagen hier an dieser Stelle auf, damit sich jeder des Nachts den Schädel einrennt. Es ist ja Krieg.
It's a joking way to warn people not to block the road. It says:
"Sure, go fix up your car on this spot, so that everyone runs into it at night. Like you care - after all, it is wartime."

"Hier sank samt Karren in den Grund Ein Fahrer. Er fuhr Spur, der Hund!"
This is a rhyme that warns you not to drive too fast. It says: "In here, a driver sank into the ground. He drove too fast, the idiot!"

"Auf 40 meter-Abstand achtet! Ihr habt die Rolllbahn nicht gepachtet!"
This is another rhyme that warns you too keep distance to other vehicles. It says: "Look out and keep distance for 40 meters to each vehicle! You don't own the roadway/You haven't bought the roadway for yourselves!"

gabriel pagliarani

Airport

Post by gabriel pagliarani » 17 Feb 2003, 00:54

If Rollbahn= Runway there must be a landing strip parallel to it... a 1st line displacement airport. Can someone confirm?

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

signs

Post by Christoph Awender » 17 Feb 2003, 10:40

Hello!

Tvanputten, sorry to disagree but the second rhyme has nothing to do with driving too fast.

Gabriel although -Rollbahn- is also another word for landing strip it has nothing to do with it in this connection. The Wehrmacht called these few large, long supply roads in the east Rollbahn.

\Christoph

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”