Letters to German POW

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
dusty_shelf

Letters to German POW

Post by dusty_shelf » 02 Jul 2017 14:40

I am hoping to get translations of these two letters sent to a German POW held in a camp in Mississippi in 1943. According to the dates on the letters and the postmarks, they would have been written soon after he arrived in the camp. In fact, the first letter did not have the camp name. It was forwarded from Washngton, DC. The prisoner was Martin Weinlein who had the rank of wachtmeister. The writer (wife/mother?) was in Nuernberg.

Thanks.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=403043
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dusty_shelf

Re: Letters to German POW

Post by dusty_shelf » 02 Jul 2017 14:41

Here is the second letter...

download/file.php?mode=view&id=403044
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Klabautermann

Post by Klabautermann » 03 Jul 2017 13:09

Guess she is his wife and calls him Pappi (Daddy) meaning him as the father of their child (Ingi).

First letter:

Our deeply loved Daddy!

Thank you very much, my everything, for both your last letters from 26.6. and 30.6.43, you will be able to estimate how crazy I rejoice over mail from you, honey. I hope that you have got news from us meanwhile, haven´t the packets also arrived? Daddy, I am rejoicing and I am proud of you because you endure your fate so bravely and patiently, believe me, Daddily, I will do everything not to be inferior to you in any way. Honey, what wouldn´t and couldn´t I do for you, my dear, good Daddy, believe me, I am always thinking of you and I will also never stop loving you. The prospect, Daddily, to get you back in good health after the end of the war gives my life a content besides Ingi, I am looking forward from one day to the next when they pass that they bring us closer to the aim at last. Daddy, our good one, we are all fine, and I wish you the best of everything. Today Anna was here, we went to the cinema, imagine Daddy, both of us are going to Munich to the art exhibition. Mother will go to Fuerth with Ingi, where Marie is also. We will stay away for one night. If you could be here, my everything! Just I am happy to wait, since I know, my dearly loved Daddy, that our reunion will be one of the most beautiful days I will ever experience. Oh, and then, honey, don´t you often dream about how our future will be? Will our family be even larger? My most loved Daddy, with Ingi, our good daughter, I greet and kiss you a thousand times. Your Irmgard.

Klabautermann

Post by Klabautermann » 03 Jul 2017 13:36

Second letter:

Dearest, best Daddy!
Most of all, my heart, how are you? In your dear letters you always write that you are well, how much do I wish that this is really the case. Dear Daddily, don´t be too sad about your fate, look, it would change nothing at all, everything had to come like this, I am even thankful for that. Don´t let us pretend anything to ourselves, Daddy, no matter how hard it is for both of us to endure the long time we are separated, even more for you, since you, honey, lack some things that we at home don´t lack I suppose. I have always written to you and I also write today that we are all well and at good health. Oh, Daddy, despite everything time is running so fast here while we, alas, get ever older by the way, don´t we, but the heart will stay young, won´t it, because we will meet again. Daddy, soon we will celebrate our second christmas alone, without you, our everything, it will be very hard, but Ingi will help me over it, but what about you? Honey, you will be in thought even deeper amongst us, so much we will be thinking of you, our dearest Daddy. I am happy about every day that passes, because one has to bring our reunion, this actually is my content of life and all I hope for. But sometimes, honey, I think that I could not stand so much unlimited joy of our reunion, that it would be too much! But anyway, Daddy, at least you know how much I love you and that I would give everything for you. From Ingi to you, Daddy, extra many greetings and kisses, she will always willfully write to you by herself, but I cannot add her scribbling any more, can I. Did you receive Inge´s pictures in Anna´s letter, soon I will add some again. Have you, Daddy, often received mail and packages from me now? It is already mighty cold here, now I will quickly crawl into bed and dream about you. Thousand greetings and kisses always to you, Ingi and Irmgard.

dusty_shelf

Post by dusty_shelf » 03 Jul 2017 15:21

Klabautermann---

Thank you so much for the translations! I collect artifacts, documents, and photos from this camp and letters TO the prisoners are rare. In the second letter it sounds as if the writer is almost glad he is now a POW and will survive the war, although it could be much longer before they are reunited.

Again, thank you!

---Mike

gmfcaptaingarry

Post by gmfcaptaingarry » 01 Jul 2018 03:49

Hello Mr. Dusty
When i was reading this 2 letters from a POW, i thought i get beaten by a big mace. I was reading it several times ( sorry about my not very good english writing ) after i called my mother ( she goes to 77 years now, here name is Ingeborg ) and asked her how my Oma, Grandmother and my Opa, Grandfather called her and she replied '' INGI '' what is very unusual. My Opa was born in Fuerth and stationed in Nuernberg in SS Kaserne as Wachtmeister. My Oma was born in Nuernberg were he was living until end of war. When the 2. letter was written, my mother was a little bit more than 3 years old as she was born in Sept. 1940.
The name of my Opa RIP was Martin Weinlein, the name of my Oma RIP Irmgard Weinlein.
I grew up with my Grandparents, i was born 19.January 1960.
There is no doupt that this 2 letters were written from my Oma, my Opa was coming back from USA at 1947 to Germany.
When i told to my mother that i would have 2 original letters written from my Oma to my Opa in 1943 she started to cry and i'm not sure whether i should show it to her. It's very emotional...

Sincerely
Gerhard Fussel ( Grandson )

UShistoryguy84

Post by UShistoryguy84 » 01 Dec 2018 16:55

Wow, what a fascinating connection made on this forum with these letters! Mr. Dusty where did you get those letters at? Mr. Fussel I'm glad your grandfather returned safe from the war. What are the odds of finding your own families history on this page?? 1 in 1 million or less. Best wishes. --Zach

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”