Help with German

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section

Help with German

Post by Jeff Leach » 22 Aug 2017, 10:40

Having trouble with two sentences (really two Words)

Infolge der starken Steigungen war die Einteilung von Schiebekommandos nötig, die die Kräfte der Schützen dauernd in Anspruch nahmen.

Because of the rising number of men needed by the Schiebekommandos, it is starting to effect the rifleman strenght of the infantry companies.

Da auch die Gefechtsfahrzeuge fast dauernd zurückblieben, mussten Munition und schwere Waffen (sMG, PzBü, le und schw Gr.W.) von den Bereitstellungsräumen S des Pruth an dauernd getragen werden.

Something like: Because the Gefechtsfahrzeuge has been left behind (stuck in the mud?, needed in the rear area because of the poor road conditions?), ammunition and heavy weapons (HMG, AT rifles, light and heavy mortars) are trailing behind the lead combat units. [by the 8 July, the Heavy weapons of the division were on the east (North) side of the Prut River]

Gefechtsfharzeuge? seems like they are refering to trucks and limbers (some horse-drawn)

the complete text (most in English)

399th Infantry Regiment: Condition of the Troops
08.07.1941 (T315 R1517 Fr0509)

Since the 30 June 1941, the regiment has been continuously in action. The supply trains haven’t been able to come forward at times because of the extremely difficult road conditions. The troops have been without a warm meal on two days and it was first after three days that some units received a warm meal. The lack of bread has left the men hungry at times. The regular night marches have meant that the troops havn't had their nightly rest. During the days the strong security towards the east and the constant tank defense preparedness, have employed large forces, especially from the regiment’s heavy weapons.

Infolge der starken Steigungen war die Einteilung von Schiebekommandos nötig, die die Kräfte der Schützen dauernd in Anspruch nahmen.

Da auch die Gefechtsfahrzeuge fast dauernd zurückblieben, mussten Munition und schwere Waffen (sMG, PzBü, le und schw Gr.W.) von den Bereitstellungsräumen S des Pruth an dauernd getragen werden.

Many of the men have problems with their feet because they haven’t been able to take off their boots since 30 June. In the case of the I./ and III./ battalions, the attacking troops had been forced to wade chest-deep through a stream north of Bel’tsy on 7 July. The troop’s boots became filled with mud, which worsened the problems with their feet. On 7 July, I (the regimental commander) dispatched two medical officers to evaluate the condition of the troops. They stressed that the troops suffered from a serious decline in health (Kräfteverfall), due to a lack of sleep, irregular supply of rations and a lack of personal hygiene. They pointed out especially that the heavy daily physical exertion caused by the daily marches, crossing high grain fields with heavy packs was taking its toll on the troops.

Reports from the battalion and company commander agree that losses are smaller than those reported. The actual losses can not be ascertained for certain because there are a number of injured soldier still lying in the grain fields untreated. The tiredness of the troops is currently so great that they are no longer (offensive) combat capable. My personal opinion is that this sudden loss of offensive spirit among troops that are usually highly motivated, confirms these reports.

The horses need one or two days of rest to recover their strength.

The troops of the 9./ company were forced to rest while under enemy harassment fire.

history1
Banned

Re: Help with German

Post by history1 » 22 Aug 2017, 13:42

Jeff Leach wrote:Having trouble with two sentences (really two Words)

Because of the rising number of men needed by the Schiebekommandos, it is starting to effect the rifleman strenght of the infantry companies.
Hi Jeff,

I would suggest " Due to the intense inclination the building of pushing parties/squads was necessary, which of course let the strenght of the riflemen weaken ( or "- which consumed the strenght of the riflemen")"
Jeff Leach wrote: Da auch die Gefechtsfahrzeuge fast dauernd zurückblieben, mussten Munition und schwere Waffen (sMG, PzBü, le und schw Gr.W.) von den Bereitstellungsräumen S des Pruth an dauernd getragen werden.

Something like: Because the Gefechtsfahrzeuge has been left behind (stuck in the mud?, needed in the rear area because of the poor road conditions?), ammunition and heavy weapons (HMG, AT rifles, light and heavy mortars) are trailing behind the lead combat units. [by the 8 July, the Heavy weapons of the division were on the east (North) side of the Prut River][...]
My translation:
" Given that the combat vehicles nearly constantly were staying/slowing behind the ammunition [...] and heavy weapons had to be carried since the assemble area south of the river Pruth permamently."

Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section

Post by Jeff Leach » 27 Aug 2017, 08:33

Thanks History1

jwsleser

Post by jwsleser » 01 Sep 2017, 17:42

Jeff

I just read your request. I normally like to read the entire paragraph to insure I have the context correct.

Schiebekommandos are literarily men for haulage (i.e. men with drag ropes originally used to assist draught horses pull loads through lousy terrain like mud).

'Because of the increasing number of men assigned for haulage, it is starting to effect the rifleman strength of the infantry companies.'

Gefechtsfahrzeuge can be either combat or tactical vehicles.

'As the tactical vehicles were almost constantly left behind, the ammunition and heavy weapons had to be continually carried from the assembly areas south of the Pruth.'

Just my thoughts.

Pista! Jeff
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section

Post by Jeff Leach » 01 Sep 2017, 18:46

Thanks. I have read literally 1000s of pages of wartime German documents and this was the first occurance of either word.

jwsleser

Post by jwsleser » 01 Sep 2017, 19:30

Your are welcome. Another variation is Ziehkommando. Just in case you come across this term.

Pista! Jeff
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

Steve E

Post by Steve E » 02 Sep 2017, 04:47

Hi folks.
Schiebekommando = Push detachment. Zu schieben means to push.
Ziehkommando =Pull detachment. Zu ziehen means to pull.
Since the fighting vehicles (i.a.Supply vehicles) were also almost constantly left behind the munitions and heavy weapons had to be constantly carried (i.a.by the riflemen).
Cheers Steve.

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”