Finding the unit my great grandfather belonged to.

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
bpanugget

Finding the unit my great grandfather belonged to.

Post by bpanugget » 06 Sep 2017, 16:55

Hi.

A family member of mine recently petitioned to the German government to release the military records for one of my paternal great grandfathers. In those records, it's stated that he belonged to "Truppenteil 2./L.S.B. 546".

I understand that Truppenteil roughly translates to "Unit" in English, but I'm having a hell of a time finding anything in regards to the "2./L.S.B. 546". Even when I Google it using German search parameters, I get nothing.

I'm basically trying to find out more about his Division, at minimum. If I could get as specific as his Company, that would be fantastic.

I know he was killed in early 1944, close to Minsk, while conducting anti-partisan operations.

Thank you!

hucks216

Re: Finding the unit my great grandfather belonged to.

Post by hucks216 » 06 Sep 2017, 18:11

He served in the 2nd Company (Kompanie) of Landesschützen-Bataillon 546 - hence 2./LSB 546.

From Lexikon der Wehrmacht:

Das Landesschützen-Bataillon 546 wurde am 2. September 1941 in Hohenfels bei Freising, im Wehrkreis VII, aufgestellt. Das Bataillon wurde aus dem am 14. August 1941 aufgestellten Wach-Bataillon Hohenfels zu 3 Kompanien aufgestellt. Das Bataillon wurde anfangs auch in Hohenfels eingesetzt. Ab dem 5. Januar 1942 wurde das Bataillon im Generalgouvernement eingesetzt. Ab 1944 wurde das Bataillon der der Heeresgruppe Mitte unterstellt. Von dieser wurde das Bataillon bei der 391. Sicherungs-Division eingesetzt. Im Jahr 1944 bildete das Bataillon das I. Bataillon vom Sicherungs-Regiment 34. Als solches wurde das Bataillon im Juni 1944 bei Wilkomir vernichtet.

Für die Ersatzgestellung des Bataillons war das Landesschützen-Ersatz-Bataillon 7 zuständig.

( http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gli ... derung.htm )

bpanugget

Re: Finding the unit my great grandfather belonged to.

Post by bpanugget » 07 Sep 2017, 13:09

Thank you.

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”