"Germania"?

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
Annelie

Post by Annelie » 29 May 2003, 12:57

Language courses for German in my area are listed under

"Germania Language School"

I don't think it has or had anything to do with Hitler!

gabriel pagliarani

Post by gabriel pagliarani » 29 May 2003, 16:15

Let me explain: I am the only Latin speaker present among you till now. The world Germanus is not related to a region or to a people but to a feeling: this fact adds value and honour to this old definition. The "germanus" in the Rome of Caius Marius (the dictator who defeated Teutones in the battle of Aix en Provence) was a brother born with an other brother but they are not twins. At today we could say "etherozygothes" for germans, "omozhygotes" for twins. The legend say that Caius Marius, who sent Silla as a spy in 101 before Christ behind enemy lines in a dangerous recce mission, asked him how was possible to discriminate the kings of the barbarians among other troops in order to attempt a selective killing. Silla answered: "...impossible! They have all the same face covered by the same long blond beard: they seems to be all germans!" Teutones became the 1st germanic population known.

Karl

Post by Karl » 29 May 2003, 17:12

gabriel pagliarani wrote:Let me explain: I am the only Latin speaker present among you till now. The world Germanus is not related to a region or to a people but to a feeling: this fact adds value and honour to this old definition. The "germanus" in the Rome of Caius Marius (the dictator who defeated Teutones in the battle of Aix en Provence) was a brother born with an other brother but they are not twins. At today we could say "etherozygothes" for germans, "omozhygotes" for twins. The legend say that Caius Marius, who sent Silla as a spy in 101 before Christ behind enemy lines in a dangerous recce mission, asked him how was possible to discriminate the kings of the barbarians among other troops in order to attempt a selective killing. Silla answered: "...impossible! They have all the same face covered by the same long blond beard: they seems to be all germans!" Teutones became the 1st germanic population known.
That is pretty neat. So are you saying that its origin is Latin and then it went on to Old German? Or did it originate in England, then onto Latin, and then onto Old German and so on…?

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 29 May 2003, 17:13

You are most likely correct about

"The world Germanus is not related to a region or to a people but to a feeling: this fact adds value and honour to this old definition."

Greeks do not like to be called Greeks.....they are "Hellas".
And, they are proud of this.

Interesting thankyou for input, it brought to my attention.

Annelie

Westwall

Post by Westwall » 29 May 2003, 18:21

"Germane" is a german word meaning germanic people.

So no problem with "Germania".

Karl

Post by Karl » 29 May 2003, 18:35

I guess I am a little slow in understanding.

Germania:

a) a place?

b) a feeling?

c) a people?

d) all three of the above?

David Brown

GERMANIA

Post by David Brown » 30 May 2003, 00:48

I recall a radio broadcast some time ago that was discussing the centre piece of the new capital once the war had been won. It was a gigantic indoor area with a dome on top; something akin to St Paul's Cathederal, only much, much larger.

The intention was that it would be used for rallies similar to the Nuremberg Rallies. Anyhow, according to one of the architects who had been looking at the drawings there was a flaw in the ventilation system that meant if say 20,000 Nazis were all giving it the "Seig Heil" and getting carried away with the fervour of the occasion, the heat and the perspiration generated would rise and collect in the dome. In turn it would then start to fall back to the ground like rain.

20,000 Nazis, indoors, getting rained on...the mind boggles!

Gespenst

Post by Gespenst » 30 May 2003, 02:58

Die Grosse Halle, as envisioned by Albert Speer would have been able to hold up to 200 000 (two-hundred-thousand) people. The cupola, topping at 290 meters above ground with 250 meters base diameter could indeed provide a space where clouds could have formed without powerful ventilation.

gabriel pagliarani

Post by gabriel pagliarani » 30 May 2003, 10:41

Karl wrote:
gabriel pagliarani wrote:Let me explain: I am the only Latin speaker present among you till now. The world Germanus is not related to a region or to a people but to a feeling: this fact adds value and honour to this old definition. The "germanus" in the Rome of Caius Marius (the dictator who defeated Teutones in the battle of Aix en Provence) was a brother born with an other brother but they are not twins. At today we could say "etherozygothes" for germans, "omozhygotes" for twins. The legend say that Caius Marius, who sent Silla as a spy in 101 before Christ behind enemy lines in a dangerous recce mission, asked him how was possible to discriminate the kings of the barbarians among other troops in order to attempt a selective killing. Silla answered: "...impossible! They have all the same face covered by the same long blond beard: they seems to be all germans!" Teutones became the 1st germanic population known.
That is pretty neat. So are you saying that its origin is Latin and then it went on to Old German? Or did it originate in England, then onto Latin, and then onto Old German and so on…?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This fact has been described twice, the 1st in "Annales" by Titus Livius, who was historically believable. Therefore this is an historical fact, not a legend. Germanum is a latin word having the following lost meaning.
Frater= born from the same mother of his owh brother but in a different day.
Geminus=born from the same mother, in the same time and perfectly similar to his own "brother Geminus" born in the same day.
Germanus=born in the same day from the same mother but having differect aspect from his own "brother Germanus".
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Greeks do not like to be called Greeks.....they are "Hellas".
And, they are proud of this.

Interesting thankyou for input, it brought to my attention.

Annelie
Dear Annelie,
only few ancient peoples had the possibility to choose the name that other peoples gave them. For examples Italia is an ancient greek word
which means "land of young cows" and the inhabitants were "italiotes", in the while "italians" were only Greeks having italian origin, or France comes from "francus" which latin name means "without owners" or free-man. In Poland Italy is called "Wrekhya" which meaning has nothing to share with "wrecking" but "land of the people eating green vegetables". Incredible, no? About actual greeks tell me how can I call them. Hellanians? :lol: ..probably much better our "greeks".

gabriel pagliarani

Re: GERMANIA

Post by gabriel pagliarani » 30 May 2003, 22:51

David Brown wrote:I recall a radio broadcast some time ago that was discussing the centre piece of the new capital once the war had been won. It was a gigantic indoor area with a dome on top; something akin to St Paul's Cathederal, only much, much larger.

The intention was that it would be used for rallies similar to the Nuremberg Rallies. Anyhow, according to one of the architects who had been looking at the drawings there was a flaw in the ventilation system that meant if say 20,000 Nazis were all giving it the "Seig Heil" and getting carried away with the fervour of the occasion, the heat and the perspiration generated would rise and collect in the dome. In turn it would then start to fall back to the ground like rain.

20,000 Nazis, indoors, getting rained on...the mind boggles!
Obviously this fact has nothing related with Germany, but it is absolutely believable. Recently I have seen on TV the gigantic NASA assembly building in Cape Canaveral. In such building were assembled Saturn V missiles and actually Space Shuttles and its height is more than 110mt (Apollo height was 111 meters) Enormous fans shake continuosly indoor air to prevent moisture on elecrtical connections due to the high relative humidity of the air in Florida. Without air shacking, missiles become wet.

tottry

Post by tottry » 01 Jun 2003, 02:26

About actual greeks tell me how can I call them. Hellanians? ..probably much better our "greeks".

How about "Hellenes" then? Really intersting stuff about Germania :)

PS: Annelie, are you by any chance of Greek origin?

Johnny

Post by Johnny » 01 Jun 2003, 18:16

You people never read Cornelius Tacitus?

gabriel pagliarani

Post by gabriel pagliarani » 02 Jun 2003, 19:18

mmmh...Tacitus wrote also "Germania" in which he explained habits of german poulation. 20 years ago I have read "Annales" in Latin (partially, the rest translated) obviously only the books from 1 to 6 and a part of the last six. (..they were 16 but fom 7 to 10 had been definitively lost.)
Latine loquemur, Domine. Sic hoc voluntas tua dilexit, ecce homo parato! Bene fecisti ad ultimam locutionem me tangere. 8)

Found from" de origine et situ Germanorum" (Germania) from Tacitus:
QVAE NEQUE CONFIRMARE ARGVMENTIS NEQVE REFELLERE IN ANIMO EST; EX INGENIO SUO QVISQVE DEMAT VEL ADDAT FIDEM
I don't want to ensure or not ensure anybody about the rightness of those information (the origin of the name German) ; everybody is free to believe or not believe as he likes. (I,5)

Evidently there were too many legends about that name. The only sure thing the really 1st to describe Germans was Erodotus,(Stories,I,IV) the ancient greek. But the people he spoke about was still in actual Iran: there is only a little doubt they were actual Germans before migrating in Northern Europe and they were just defined Germans since there.
Last edited by gabriel pagliarani on 02 Jun 2003, 22:51, edited 2 times in total.

gabriel pagliarani

Post by gabriel pagliarani » 02 Jun 2003, 19:34

tottry wrote:
About actual greeks tell me how can I call them. Hellanians? ..probably much better our "greeks".

How about "Hellenes" then? Really intersting stuff about Germania :)

PS: Annelie, are you by any chance of Greek origin?
Hellenes is related generally to ancient populations which lived not only in actual Hellas, but also in Italy, Turkey and Egypt. Half italian population has Hellenic (or hellenistic) origins. They are my own ancestors exactly as per Greeks. We have common heritage. Pitagora (..the "aerobata") lived in Italy.

tottry

Post by tottry » 02 Jun 2003, 19:57

Hellenes is related generally to ancient populations which lived not only in actual Hellas, but also in Italy, Turkey and Egypt. Half italian population has Hellenic (or hellenistic) origins. They are my own ancestors exactly as per Greeks. We have common heritage. Pitagora (..the "aerobata") lived in Italy.

I was referring to how the Greeks call themselves and their country (Hellenes and Hellas respectively). You are absolutely correct in the points you are making of course!

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”