Help with German

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section

Help with German

Post by Jeff Leach » 31 May 2018, 13:55

one of the sentences in the following paragraph

Corporal Schulz, 2./71st Pioneer Battalion, entminte vor dem Antreten des 123rd Infantry Regiments zum Sturm auf OTSCHAKOFF mit 2 Minensuchtrupps und 1 Minenräumtrupp die Einfahrtstraße zur Festung im Abschnitt des 123rd Infantry Regiments. Er baute ferner mit einem Bautrupp die völlig unbekannten sogenannten Tonnen–Minen aus und machte sie unschädlich.

loosely translated

Corporal Schulz, 2./71st Pioneer Battalion, with two mine-clearing teams (Minensuchtrupp) and one mine-disarming team (Minenraümtrupp), cleared lanes through the Soviet minefields forward of 123rd Infantry Regiment. This allowed the 123rd Infantry Regiment to assault the fortress of OTSCHAKOFF along one of its entrance roads.

the last sentence doesn't make any sense (does 'baute mean something beside 'build/construct'?)

Also, a construction troop under his command built 'the completely unknown so-called 'Barrel' - mines removed and disarmed.

Gorque

Re: Help with German

Post by Gorque » 31 May 2018, 14:36

Perhaps it means drum or cylinder?

Ooops, forgot to mention the source: http://www.missing-lynx.com/library/ger ... enmine.htm

jaguh

Post by jaguh » 31 May 2018, 17:32

Jeff, my 2 cents:

Er baute ferner mit ........ Minen aus und ...... .
The verb is "ausbauen" = remove. Meaning he and his Bautrupp removed the up to then totally unknown, so called barrel-mines and de-activated them.

hope that helps.

Jaguh

jaguh

Post by jaguh » 31 May 2018, 17:48

Jeff, some more thoughts,

the use of the verb "ausbauen" indicates that the mines were installed somewhere, built into something. You would not use this verb for the removal of dug-in or just hidden mines. It would have to be a little more involved. (eg Motor ausbauen = remove the engine (of a car))

Jaguh

Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section

Post by Jeff Leach » 31 May 2018, 19:49

Thanks for the help, it is really appreciated.

The German word 'tonne' could mean several things in English, with most being cylinder type objects.

For now I'll call them 'barrel-mines' until I have time to look through more of the records. The 50th Infantry Division have pretty extensive document on the attack on Otshakoff. If it was a new type of mine the German would publish the information for the rest of the army.

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 01 Jun 2018, 00:38

Perhaps they meant ОЗМ-152 introduced in 1939/40 ?
http://weaponland.ru/publ/protivopekhot ... 20-1-0-924

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”