Help needed with German Medical terms

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
Sam Wren

Help needed with German Medical terms

Post by Sam Wren » 04 Nov 2018, 01:13

Endlich ist der Oberarm frei. Ich kann das Einschußloch sehen. Sie sagt, der Knochen habe nichts abbekommen. Ein Arzt kommt, betastet den Arm und sieht sich die Wunden an, macht der Schwester Angaben für das Krankenblatt: Einschußwunde ein Zentimeter, Ausschußwunde drei mal zehn Zentimeter, keine Fraktur, klopft an meinen Ellenbogen, arbeitet und schneidet an der Wunde, setzt keine Klammern. Schließlich kommt ein neuer Verband auf die Wunden. Ein Sanitäter beschäftigt sich anschließend mit mir, baut mir unter dem linken Arm eine Drahtgestellstütze, die um den Oberkörper mit langen Mullbinden festgehalten wird. Der Arm gelangt so in Ruhestellung. Oh Gott, was für eine Prozedur. Eine Schwester bringt mich auf ein Krankenzimmer, hilft mir, ins Bett zu kommen. Schmerzen plagen mich. Trotzdem schlafe ich nach vierundzwanzig Stunden Wachsein endlich ein. Gegen Mittag wach ich auf Ein netter Lebensabschnitt beginnt, denn es hätte ja auch anders kommen können. Glück gehabt! Trotz allem!

I can't find an apparently suitable term for Klammern in this context. During WW2 the standard American surgical procedure was to debride bullet wounds but to leave them open (unsutured - but bandaged) for at least a few days, but I have not been able to find any clear info on German procedures, only American commentary that in the last years of the war German medical equipment and procedure was very poor. The only possible candidates I have been able to find that fit a medical situation would be possibly "clip", "staple" (though I think using staples to close wounds is a very recent practice) or "brace", but none of these seem to fit.

Drahtgestellstütze? - An internet search only brings up mentions of Christmas ornaments - maddeningly confounding

GregSingh

Re: Help needed with German Medical terms

Post by GregSingh » 04 Nov 2018, 06:56

Drahtgestellstütze - wire frame support.
In English known as Cramer Wire Splint, used for support or immobilization of a limb.

kramer.jpg
kramer.jpg (34.74 KiB) Viewed 2993 times

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 04 Nov 2018, 19:17

Regarding the "Klammern" = staple: They were invented in 1908:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surgical_staple
Greg´s Cramer - splint needs a bit of refurbishment. Normally foam/cellulose material, or cottonwool is wrapped around the wire frame to avoid dents and the creation of a decubitus.

Helmut0815

Post by Helmut0815 » 04 Nov 2018, 19:59

Sam Wren wrote:
04 Nov 2018, 01:13
arbeitet und schneidet an der Wunde, setzt keine Klammern. Schließlich kommt ein neuer Verband auf die Wunden.
I can't find an apparently suitable term for Klammern in this context. During WW2 the standard American surgical procedure was to debride bullet wounds but to leave them open (unsutured - but bandaged) for at least a few days, but I have not been able to find any clear info on German procedures, only American commentary that in the last years of the war German medical equipment and procedure was very poor. The only possible candidates I have been able to find that fit a medical situation would be possibly "clip", "staple" (though I think using staples to close wounds is a very recent practice) or "brace", but none of these seem to fit.
Well, I'm not a surgeon but is it possible that the soldier is not talking about "Klammern" to close the wounds when the doctor has finished his work but of "Klammern" to keep the wound open while the doctor is operating in it. In the latter case would clamps or brace be the right term?

best regards

Helmut

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 04 Nov 2018, 21:56

Helmut there are no such "Klammer" as you suggest. Instruments for this use are
Wundspreizer [surgical spreader], Spezialwundspreizer [surgical spreader for special applications], Bauchhaken/-blätter [abdominal retractor] and Wundhaken [tissue retractor].
http://www.chirurgische-instrumente.inf ... ducts.html
A cramp/staple is holding something together, AFAIK. At least this is what they thaught us in our surgery training in the nursery school and in practice in the operating room.

Sam Wren

Post by Sam Wren » 07 Nov 2018, 09:28

Thanks to everyone - that is very helpful

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 07 Nov 2018, 18:14

You´re welcome, Sam.

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”