What does röm mean on German maps?

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
timkoningskelp

What does röm mean on German maps?

Post by timkoningskelp » 11 Apr 2019, 23:24

While researching the German positions on the river Meuse ("Maas") in the fall and winter of 1944-1945, I came across some German maps which contain the abbrevation "röm 87" and "röm 2. Fs.". Even though I do speak a little German (can't escape from that living only 5 kilometer from the border in Holland :wink: ), I can't make out the meaning of this abbrevation. Can anybody tell me what it means?

Thanks on forehand!

Gorque

Re: What does röm mean on German maps?

Post by Gorque » 12 Apr 2019, 02:18

Roman Numeral perhaps?

Richard Anderson

Post by Richard Anderson » 12 Apr 2019, 03:05

Exactly.
Richard C. Anderson Jr.

American Thunder: U.S. Army Tank Design, Development, and Doctrine in World War II
Cracking Hitler's Atlantic Wall
Hitler's Last Gamble
Artillery Hell

timkoningskelp

Post by timkoningskelp » 14 Apr 2019, 01:35

Thanks for your suggestions, but I am afraid that doesn't fit. At the bottom of the map I attached to my post there is a unit called "röm 12 SS". SS units were normally designated by their regular, arabic number, just like Heer divisions, so attaching the prefix 'rom' to them wouldn't be practical. It's 12. SS division, not 'XII SS division'.

Gorque

Post by Gorque » 15 Apr 2019, 15:16

timkoningskelp wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 13:54
If you just look at the map I attached to my post, you can see 'rom 12 SS' near the bottom (center). It's there for all to see, so what do you mean by 'intentional omission'? And why would that make me squirt?! And for your information: below my avatar you can see I have over 80 posts in this forum, with me being a member longer then you are.

I thought this was a polite forum, with members who are adults... I reported your post to the forum moderators.
Then you should have highlighted that as well as it might have caused me to pause on my answer. But you are correct, I was impolite. My apologies.

jpz4

Post by jpz4 » 15 Apr 2019, 15:35

Tim, I think we're seeing a bit of miscommunication here. Your second post was rather dismissive (I assume unintentionally) of two people who did provide the correct answer, which is what people reacted to. If you had simply asked the question of your third post
"Since the map contains regular letters (Fs.Jg.Rgt., Kgr.Wadehn, Masse, etc) wouldn't it be normal to expect the Germans to type the Korpsnumber directly in Roman numerals, like XII SS or LXXXVIII? And to use a larger font, like the used for 1. FsArmee?"
people would understand what you were trying to understand.

There is no real answer to your question though. The use of Roman numerals is more common, but the 'röm' + Arab numerals is also used a lot. In this case it might have to do with a lack of unit symbols or it was simply considered more practical on this particular map.
FWIW, the font of the corps numbers does seem to be slightly larger than those of the lower level units.
Either way, don't get hung up on the 'why', because it is not important.

Let us all move on. :wink:

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”