Feldpostkarte - Translation help

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
Attheedge24

Feldpostkarte - Translation help

Post by Attheedge24 » 21 Dec 2019 12:36

Hi All !

Im new to the forum so forgive me if I have posted wrong or something.
However im looking to get this translated or find out any information on the document.

Can anyone help?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hannibal2

Re: Feldpostkarte - Translation help

Post by hannibal2 » 27 Dec 2019 09:33

It would be very helpful in terms of extracting the most information from the Feldpostkarte if you would provide a scan of the other side of it.That side commonly shows the rank, name and field post number of the sender. Most importantly, the FPN signifies the unit to which the sender belongs, which would be an interesting thing to know.

Here's what the text says: " 06/11/1942 --- Dear Willi! Many thanks for your letter of the 1st with the enclosure (...2). Can you really spare the cigarettes? Surely you yourself must also be strapped for smokes. Here they are glad for that though. M... writes me diligently, and I just finished writing her. I'm doing well, and everything is still unchanged. Today, for once, we even got some mineral water. What a feast! Actually, we are lacking water here altogether, and how often would one like to drink a glass of clear cold water. When I come home..."

Now his comments regarding the scarcity of water lead me to believe (I could be wrong of course) that this man is a member of the German Afrikakorps who is writing these words from somewhere in the North African desert, most likely in a fly-infested foxhole before El Alamein. That possible scenario fits in with the date, June 11, 1942. By that time, Rommel's second advance into Egypt and towards the Suez Canal had come to a halt due to exhausted manpower, worn-out equipment and the ever increasing strength of the British 8th Army under Montgomery. Next to constant ammunition and fuel shortages, lack of water was a serious threat to the survival of the Afrikakorps.

Cheers, Gert

history1

Post by history1 » 27 Dec 2019 11:11

Hi Attheedge24,

please post your translation/transcription requests in the proper subforum:
"Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier" which you will find in "Research Help".

Gert made quite a good job, except the mistranslations and consequently a possible incorrect conclusion about the unit. It´s this part:" [...] Denn Trinkwasser fehlt uns hier ja ganz [...]" = "Because we lack potable water entirely" what he translated as "Actually, we are lacking water here altogether,".
I´m sure it´s not only the North African campaign were soldiers missed, at least for some time, drinking water. But the Fedlpostnummer (FPN) = field postal number, would likely clear up the unit question.

BTW, the "(...2)" reads "Nr. 2" = number two

Regards,
Roman

hannibal2

Post by hannibal2 » 27 Dec 2019 17:46

Roman: Frankly, I really don't think the fact that I inadvertently left out the "Trink-" in "Trinkwasser" in my translation has much of an effect regarding my guess about the man's unit and location. The Afrikakorps was always short of water, any kind of Wasser, potable or otherwise.

Cheers, Gert

Attheedge24

Post by Attheedge24 » 30 Dec 2019 11:18

Hi all,

Thank you so much for your replies your have been most helpful. I do believe it could be an afrikacorps panzer division ss unit due to the stamp on the front. I will up load this now :)

What do you guys think?

Cheers
Scott
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

history1

Post by history1 » 30 Dec 2019 13:19

Hi Scott,
the sooner you forget the "Waffen-SS unit stamp" the better, IMHO.
The recipient holds the rank of an "Unteroffizier = NCO" (image 18 in the link) and the sender was a Leutnant = lieutenant, an officer rank (image 13).
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dienstgra ... eutnante_2
Both ranks didn´t exist in the SS.
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bildtafel ... _Waffen-SS
The card is also directed to the "Luftgaupostamt (LGP Frankfurt/Main) which holds a Luftwaffe( = Air Forc) FPN (field postal number) = L38151 =
(Mobilmachung-1.1.1940) 1. Batterie schwere Artillerie-Abteilung
(1.10.1940-27.2.1941) 10. Batterie Artillerie-Regiment 263,
(1.10.1940-27.2.1941) gestrichen, wurde Fp.Nr. 36867 B
(1.3.1942-7.9.1942) Stab leichte Flak-Abteilung 856
(12.3.1943-7.9.1943) Stab leichte Flak-Abteilung 856 (o).
Makes the recipient a member of the staff from a anti-aircraft gun of a smaller caliber. As shown her under "Leichte Flak":https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flugabweh ... ichte_Flak
Of interest is the five digit FPN number in the left stamp (beneath the skulls mouth, I recognise only "..50.".
On the bottom of this stamp it reads "Briefstempel" and on the top "Einheits-Feldpost Nr."
Try to get a close-up of this part please.

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”