What is a Weirautherbunker?

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
mrwolfe1988

What is a Weirautherbunker?

Post by mrwolfe1988 » 21 Jan 2020, 23:42

Hello friends,

I was hoping that someone here could help me again as you all have a great knowledge of all things WW2. During the translation of my great grandfather's memoirs I came across the term "Weirautherbunker" and I haven't the faintest notion of what this is.

I would of course presume some kind of bunker though I guess this would be a specific kind of bunker, in the same way that a "Finnenzelt" is a specific kind of tent (which I have found and translated as "Sami tent"). I cannot however, find any hint of a "Weirautherbunker" and it may well be the case that this is a misspelling of another term which I am not familiar with.

The full text is below for context:

Nellimö: Von hier aus wurden wir also mit den Balken und Brettern versorgt mit denen wir uns an der Liza die Bunker so gut es ging wohnlich und begrenzt sicher machten. Hier entstanden auch die Finnenzelte und Weirautherbunker in denen wir zusammen mit Scharen von Läusen die langen, dunklen und kalten Winter und die kurzen heißen Sommer verbrachten und in denen wir uns trotz aller Beengtheit nach Stunden in eisigem Schneesturm so warm und geborgen fühlten

Any help is much appreciated!
Translated Memoirs of Otto Poschacher, Gebirgsjäger in the 2nd Gebirgsdivision.

https://www.amazon.com/s?i=stripbooks&r ... _sr_book_1

Hohlladung

Re: What is a Weirautherbunker?

Post by Hohlladung » 24 Jan 2020, 15:13

Hi,
Never heard of this term. I suppose a misspelling. Can you post the original page to crosscheck?

Best regards
"Ihr verfluchten Racker, wollt ihr denn ewig leben?" Friedrich, II. in der Schlacht von Kolin am 18.Juni 1757 zu seinen zurückgehenden Grenadieren.

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 03 Feb 2020, 21:11

Hi,

I support Armin´s view.
The only things which sound similar, IMO, is "Weihrauch = Frankincense" or the possibility of a bunker names after the builder/engineer with name "Weirather". Who migh thave been only a fellow soldier.

Cheers

mrwolfe1988

Post by mrwolfe1988 » 03 Feb 2020, 22:55

many thanks for your contributions guys!
Translated Memoirs of Otto Poschacher, Gebirgsjäger in the 2nd Gebirgsdivision.

https://www.amazon.com/s?i=stripbooks&r ... _sr_book_1

mapal

Post by mapal » 28 Feb 2023, 14:58

Hello!
I accidentally ran across your question. I have this info from the book Es war ein Edelweiss: Schicksaal und Weg der 2. GD (There was an 'Edelweiss' (note: symbol of the 2nd Mountain Division): Destiny and route of the 2nd Mountain Division), authors M. Kraeutler and K. Springenschmid. My fahter namely served in the 2nd Mountain Division in WW2.
This is what the book says: ... The military groups have quarters protected against enemy fire, the beloved Weirautherbunkers, named by Oberst (Colonel) Weirauther, that are produced at the saw mill in Elvenes (this is in Norway, somewhere around Kirkenes, where the 2nd Mountain Division was in retreat in October 1944). Hope this helps a bit.
Regards
Matjaz

mapal

Post by mapal » 28 Feb 2023, 15:52

Hello again!
Could be that this is the Weirautherbunker, a construction with arched wooden elements. See photo in attachment.
Best regards
Matjaz
Attachments
Weirautherbunker.jpg
Weirautherbunker

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”