Translating a letter from a pow about my Opa POW

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
SeifertE
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: 09 Feb 2020 06:25
Location: Australia

Translating a letter from a pow about my Opa POW

Post by SeifertE » 09 Feb 2020 14:18

If anyone could read this letter I would be grateful. It appears, and from what I was told before my oma died, a man was adivising my Opa had died in a POW Camp in Russia on 19 September, 1945. However, the Red Cross in Germany sent a letter in 1972 (yes years later) stating he died in a POW Camp unknown address in Russia on 20th October, 1945.
His Name is “Otto Gustav Seifert, born 10.12.1902.

I am trying to find out his rank, division etc. I was told he was in the infantry and had a received a cross. However in the Red Cross letter it stated “notifying the next of kin that the soldat died in the former German Wehrmacht, Berlin 52.” Is Berlin 52 anything? Confused.

Also I attached a photo of an address, I found it in my oma’s documents, can anyone tell me what it says? It has my IPA’s name on it, its an address of some sort, may it was with the above letter.
Thanks everyone, and if I can solve this mystery I will be happy. My oma and Mother never spoke about the war and as far as I knew my Opa was a dachdecker.

GregSingh
Member
Posts: 2849
Joined: 21 Jun 2012 01:11
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Translating a letter from a pow about my Opa POW

Post by GregSingh » 09 Feb 2020 23:09

:welcome:

These scans are too small for me to read.

That's what I'm making from the address:

? Pi(onier)? Otto Seifert
2 Pi? ? Ersatz- und Ausbildungs-Bataillon 4
2 Komp. ? 51
O sche ?

Perhaps he was in sapper unit.

As for the letter from Georg I see :

We were taken into Soviet captivity in Jassy (Romania)
If we become increasingly humble about how little we know, we may be more eager to search.

User avatar
Hohlladung
Member
Posts: 262
Joined: 25 Mar 2017 12:32
Location: Germany

Re: Translating a letter from a pow about my Opa POW

Post by Hohlladung » 10 Feb 2020 01:01

Agree with Greg,

Try to post a better scan.

Best regards
"Ihr verfluchten Racker, wollt ihr denn ewig leben?" Friedrich, II. in der Schlacht von Kolin am 18.Juni 1757 zu seinen zurückgehenden Grenadieren.

SeifertE
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: 09 Feb 2020 06:25
Location: Australia

Re: Translating a letter from a pow about my Opa POW

Post by SeifertE » 10 Feb 2020 06:50

Hello Greg and Hohlladung, I have posted both pieces again in a large format. I appreciate your help. By the way I have been trying to access axis history.com and have been unable to get in again. Been failing past 4 days. This is where I initially saw my Opa’s name. I’m trying to research if it is one and the same person, as there were a lot of Otto Seifert’s.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SeifertE on 11 Feb 2020 01:17, edited 1 time in total.

history1
Member
Posts: 3692
Joined: 31 Oct 2005 09:12
Location: Austria

Re: Translating a letter from a pow about my Opa POW

Post by history1 » 10 Feb 2020 13:44

Hi,

I don´t see any photos at all, not small ones nor big ones. Maybe you only forgot to add the new files and will hopefuly manage that in future so that we can help.

SeifertE
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: 09 Feb 2020 06:25
Location: Australia

Re: Translating a letter from a pow about my Opa POW

Post by SeifertE » 11 Feb 2020 01:03

Image
SeifertE wrote:
09 Feb 2020 14:18
If anyone could read this letter I would be grateful. It appears, and from what I was told before my oma died, a man was adivising my Opa had died in a POW Camp in Russia on 19 September, 1945. However, the Red Cross in Germany sent a letter in 1972 (yes years later) stating he died in a POW Camp unknown address in Russia on 20th October, 1945.
His Name is “Otto Gustav Seifert, born 10.12.1902.

I am trying to find out his rank, division etc. I was told he was in the infantry and had a received a cross. However in the Red Cross letter it stated “notifying the next of kin that the soldat died in the former German Wehrmacht, Berlin 52.” Is Berlin 52 anything? Confused.

Also I attached a photo of an address, I found it in my oma’s documents, can anyone tell me what it says? It has my IPA’s name on it, its an address of some sort, may it was with the above letter.
Thanks everyone, and if I can solve this mystery I will be happy. My oma and Mother never spoke about the war and as far as I knew my Opa was a dachdecker.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SeifertE
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: 09 Feb 2020 06:25
Location: Australia

Re: Translating a letter from a pow about my Opa POW

Post by SeifertE » 11 Feb 2020 01:04

I couldn’t attach it to original post, not sure why, sorry I am new,. Thanks.

GregSingh
Member
Posts: 2849
Joined: 21 Jun 2012 01:11
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Translating a letter from a pow about my Opa POW

Post by GregSingh » 11 Feb 2020 09:01

Thanks for these scans.

A town from the address is now clearly visible: Oschatz (in Saxony).
That's where he was training with Ersatz unit.
Baupionier-Ersatz- und Ausbildungs-Bataillon 4 / 2. Kompanie

So the address is a piece of envelope he most likely sent a letter in, back to his folks, during the war.
If we become increasingly humble about how little we know, we may be more eager to search.

User avatar
Hohlladung
Member
Posts: 262
Joined: 25 Mar 2017 12:32
Location: Germany

Re: Translating a letter from a pow about my Opa POW

Post by Hohlladung » 11 Feb 2020 12:00

Hi,
This is a letter from Georg Heidner, a fellow POW. He is transmitting greetings from Otto Seifert to his wife and saw him the last time in 16. September 1945:

Holstein, 25.XI.45

Werthe F. Seifert!

Recht herzliche Grüße von Otto Seifert soll ich Ihnen schreiben (crossed out) recht herzliche Grüße schreiben.
Wir waren zusammen in russ. Gefangenschaft in Jassi ( Rumänien) Es ging uns dorten gut u. verabschiedeten uns am 16. September 45. Wo ich wegen Krankheit entlassen wurde. Ich selber befinde mich jetzt in der Heimat.
Näheres würde ich Ihnen gerne schreiben.
Es grüßt Sie bestens
Georg Heidner

The address on the envelope is, like Greg already wrote,
his unit:
B.Pi. Otto Seifert
2. B.Pi. Ersatz u. Ausblg. Batl. 4
2. Komp. Stube 51
Oschatz

Best regards
Armin
"Ihr verfluchten Racker, wollt ihr denn ewig leben?" Friedrich, II. in der Schlacht von Kolin am 18.Juni 1757 zu seinen zurückgehenden Grenadieren.

SeifertE
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: 09 Feb 2020 06:25
Location: Australia

Re: Translating a letter from a pow about my Opa POW

Post by SeifertE » 11 Feb 2020 13:19

.
Last edited by SeifertE on 11 Feb 2020 13:30, edited 1 time in total.

SeifertE
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: 09 Feb 2020 06:25
Location: Australia

Re: Translating a letter from a pow about my Opa POW

Post by SeifertE » 11 Feb 2020 13:29

GregSingh wrote:
11 Feb 2020 09:01
Thanks for these scans.

A town from the address is now clearly visible: Oschatz (in Saxony).
That's where he was training with Ersatz unit.
Baupionier-Ersatz- und Ausbildungs-Bataillon 4 / 2. Kompanie

So the address is a piece of envelope he most likely sent a letter in, back to his folks, during the war.
Thank you GregSingh. I will do more investigating,

SeifertE
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: 09 Feb 2020 06:25
Location: Australia

Re: Translating a letter from a pow about my Opa POW

Post by SeifertE » 11 Feb 2020 13:31

Hohlladung wrote:
11 Feb 2020 12:00
Hi,
This is a letter from Georg Heidner, a fellow POW. He is transmitting greetings from Otto Seifert to his wife and saw him the last time in 16. September 1945:

Holstein, 25.XI.45

Werthe F. Seifert!

Recht herzliche Grüße von Otto Seifert soll ich Ihnen schreiben (crossed out) recht herzliche Grüße schreiben.
Wir waren zusammen in russ. Gefangenschaft in Jassi ( Rumänien) Es ging uns dorten gut u. verabschiedeten uns am 16. September 45. Wo ich wegen Krankheit entlassen wurde. Ich selber befinde mich jetzt in der Heimat.
Näheres würde ich Ihnen gerne schreiben.
Es grüßt Sie bestens
Georg Heidner


The address on the envelope is, like Greg already wrote,
his unit:
B.Pi. Otto Seifert
2. B.Pi. Ersatz u. Ausblg. Batl. 4
2. Komp. Stube 51
Oschatz

Best regards
Armin

SeifertE
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: 09 Feb 2020 06:25
Location: Australia

Re: Translating a letter from a pow about my Opa POW

Post by SeifertE » 11 Feb 2020 13:33

Hohlladung wrote:
11 Feb 2020 12:00
Hi,
This is a letter from Georg Heidner, a fellow POW. He is transmitting greetings from Otto Seifert to his wife and saw him the last time in 16. September 1945:

Holstein, 25.XI.45

Werthe F. Seifert!

Recht herzliche Grüße von Otto Seifert soll ich Ihnen schreiben (crossed out) recht herzliche Grüße schreiben.
Wir waren zusammen in russ. Gefangenschaft in Jassi ( Rumänien) Es ging uns dorten gut u. verabschiedeten uns am 16. September 45. Wo ich wegen Krankheit entlassen wurde. Ich selber befinde mich jetzt in der Heimat.
Näheres würde ich Ihnen gerne schreiben.
Es grüßt Sie bestens
Georg Heidner


Thank you so much Hohlladung. I only found this letter after my mother died. I have misunderstood the stories told, and thought he was advising Opa died, but it was the last time Georg saw him. The letter from the Deutsche Rotte Kreuz stated he died in a POW camp on the 20th of October, 1945 a month later. The envelope was not with this letter so I was not sure if it was from a letter Opa had sent my Oma.
Can you tell me what B. Pi. Is? And what division he was? I’m trying to find out so. I can write my family history for my son. I am the only one left now, they have all died. I went to Berlin a few times (they were born and lived there Immigrated to Australia in 1957) , trying to find information, I received a letter advising stating bodies of soldiers in some camps were repatriated and re-buried in Germany.

]

GregSingh
Member
Posts: 2849
Joined: 21 Jun 2012 01:11
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Translating a letter from a pow about my Opa POW

Post by GregSingh » 12 Feb 2020 00:06

B.Pi. = Baupionier = construction sapper or construction sapper unit depending on context.
If we become increasingly humble about how little we know, we may be more eager to search.

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”