Translation and meaning of Chef and OB

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
james37

Translation and meaning of Chef and OB

Post by james37 » 20 Feb 2020, 13:26

Hello,
I am translating the Tätigkeitsbericht of a german "Armee-Nachrichtenführer" (10. Armee in Italy during 1944) but I don't know how to translate these senteces:

ANF beim Chef - Armee-Nachrichtenführer [Who is the ANF ? The officer who lead the Nachrichten Abteilung ?] request [via telehpone or radio? ] to Chef [Who is the Chef ? The Generalstabsoffizier of Ia ?]

ANF beim OB und Chef - as above but OB stands for Oberbefehlshaber so who is OB ? Kessselring ?

Thank you for your help! I know it is quite confusing also because it is difficult for to understand and translate correctly.

Svennie

Re: Translation and meaning of Chef and OB

Post by Svennie » 22 Feb 2020, 08:02

The OB would be the Oberbefehlshaber of 10 Armee. The Chef would be the Chef des Generalstabes.
The ANF would be responsible for keeping the lines open ("Verbindungen") to the subordinate units, but also to neighbouring armies and the headquarters of the Germany army. So he was in charge of the telephone exchange, telegraph and whatever other means they used to connect to each other.

james37

Post by james37 » 01 Mar 2020, 00:16

Thank you Svennie. I really didn’t understand before your explanation so when I read:

ANF beim Chef = communication of Chef of Generalstabes (to subordinate units)
ANF beim Chef = communication between Chef and OB

It is ok or I miss something?

Thank you!

pgdwiking

Post by pgdwiking » 01 Mar 2020, 02:28

I think it is better to translate :

ANF beim Chef = communication from Armee Nachrichtenführer [10. Armee] to Chef des Generalstabes [ 10. Armee ]

ANF beim OB und Chef = communication from Armee Nachrichtenführer to Oberbefehlshaber [ 10. Armee ] and Chef des Generalstabes

massimo
Pax sine libertate servitus vocatur

james37

Post by james37 » 14 Mar 2020, 20:12

Thank you pgdwiking for your reply which I see only now.

With your explation and with the explanation of Svennie I totally undesrtand the topic and the role of ANF.

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”