Help to decipher a German handwritting

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
Tredaou

Help to decipher a German handwritting

Post by Tredaou » 10 Apr 2020, 18:20

Hello/Bonjour,

I have here an excerpt from the KTB of Flugzeugfüherschule (C) 15, at the time on the Gablingen airfield, Germany. Can anyone help me and tell me what is wrote? Your assistance will get me out of a frozen situation! Beforehand, thank you.

Best regards,
Frederic
2021.jpg

Hohlladung

Re: Help to decipher a German handwritting

Post by Hohlladung » 11 Apr 2020, 19:13

Bonjour Frederic,

You gave me a hard nut to crack.
I think, sometimes it´s easier to read Assyrian cuneiform than this. :P

Here is what I read. Not sure about some words and there are some blanks to fill out, also the names are hard to decypher, but I think you get the main idea:

Am 8.5.42 fand im Fliegerhorst Gablingen eine Fallschirmabsetzübung statt.
Anwesend waren: Der Kommandant des Flughafenbereichs, Herr Oberst Kießling, mit seinem Stab, ferner der Kommandant
des Sch…, Herr … … …. und der Stabsoffizier … des Fliegerhorst Herr Hauptmann Patzelt(?).

Die Leitung der Übung lag in Händen von Herrn Major H...icke(?),
(Heer), der gleichzeitig die Angreifer des F...…....…., abgestellt von Soldaten des Heeres, führte.

Führer des Verteidungskommandos war der Chef der 9. (?) Kompanie Herr Oberleutnant Siglettz.(?)
Die Übung gab rentable Anregungen für den Ausbau der Horstverteidigung.

Hope this will be of help.

Best regards
Armin
"Ihr verfluchten Racker, wollt ihr denn ewig leben?" Friedrich, II. in der Schlacht von Kolin am 18.Juni 1757 zu seinen zurückgehenden Grenadieren.

Tredaou

Post by Tredaou » 12 Apr 2020, 09:57

Hallo Armin,

Your answer is a nice Easter gift, better than a chocolate egg!

It is true that there are simpler writings! What is complicated with this writing is that, in the same word, not everything is attached and you end up with spaces everywhere - which makes you think there are several words. The officer commanding the flying school at that time was Oberstleutnant Alfred Traeger, so a blank can be filled in.

On my side, I have worked too. So, based on your deciphering and mine, I think the text says: [...] Am 8.5.42 fand im Fliegerhorst Gablingen eine Fallschirmabsetzübung statt. Anwesend waren: Der Kommandant des Flughafenbereichs, Herr Oberst Kießling, mit seinem Stab, ferner der Kommandant der Schule, Herr Oberstleutnant Traeger, und der Stabsoffizier beim Fliegerhorst Herr Hauptmann Petzold (?). Die Leitung der Übung lag in Händen von Herrn Major Heinicke (?), (Heer), der gleichzeitig die Angreifer des Fallschirmschützten, dargestellt von Soldaten des Heeres, führte. Führer der Verteidigungskommandos war der Chef der 3. (Techn.) Kompanie Herr Oberleutnant Ligbelts. Die Übung gab rentable Anregungen für Ausbau der Horstverteidigung. [...] Do you agree with what I wrote? (Except some of the proper names of course).

I am working on the complete KTB, there have been several editors (Leutnant and Oberleutnant) and fortunately the other writings are easier. The proper names, however, are always complicated to find.

Once again, thanks a lot.

Grüße,
Frederic

Hohlladung

Post by Hohlladung » 12 Apr 2020, 11:38

Hi Frederic,
This looks good to me.
Allow following corrections:

.....der gleichzeitig die Angreifer der Fallschirmschützen, abgestellt.....
Not sure about the company number. It looks more like a 9 to me, but with this handwriting it could also be a 3.

Happy Easter and best regards
Armin
"Ihr verfluchten Racker, wollt ihr denn ewig leben?" Friedrich, II. in der Schlacht von Kolin am 18.Juni 1757 zu seinen zurückgehenden Grenadieren.

Tredaou

Post by Tredaou » 12 Apr 2020, 12:03

Thank you Armin for this final proofreading and correction.

By the way, rather than: "Am 8.5.42 fand im Fliegerhorst Gablingen eine Fallschirmabsetzübung statt." Could be also: "Am 8.5.42 fand im Fliegerhorst Gablingen eine Fallschirmabwehrübung statt." This paragraph talking about a defence or protection of the airfield...

I agree, for the Company it can be 9 as well as 3.

Best regards,
Frederic

Hohlladung

Post by Hohlladung » 12 Apr 2020, 12:14

Frederic,
Agree, looks more …Fallschirmabwehr... than ...absetz….

I think you have it now complete, except for the names.

Best regards
Armin

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 12 Apr 2020, 13:19

Hohlladung wrote:
12 Apr 2020, 11:38
Hi Frederic,
This looks good to me.
Allow following corrections:

.....der gleichzeitig die Angreifer der Fallschirmschützen, abgestellt.....
Not sure about the company number. It looks more like a 9 to me, but with this handwriting it could also be a 3.

Happy Easter and best regards
Armin
Hi,

you don´t mind that I disagree in this case, Armin.
The sentence is (important parts only):
Die Leitung der Übung lag in Händen von Herrn Major Heinicke [...] der gleichzeitig die Angreifer der Fallschirmschützen [dargestellt von Soldaten des Heeres] führte.
Those soldiers led by Heinicke did play/represent the aggressors. That´s the information in the brackets, it´s not about that the Heer did second (abstellen) those soldiers for the exercise.

Happy Easter holidays everyone!

Roman

Hohlladung

Post by Hohlladung » 12 Apr 2020, 21:30

Nö,
Pretty sure to read abgestellt.

But there is one more important thing to correct, Frederic. The correct term for the commanding officer of the school, Oberstleutnant Träger, would be Kommandeur, not Kommandant. And I am pretty sure again to read the eur at the end of the word.

Best regards
Armin

Tredaou

Post by Tredaou » 13 Apr 2020, 13:11

Hallo Armin,

Thanks for this correction, it seems to me to read also "Kommandeur". At the end the "n" with accent is characteristic of the "u".

Between the words "dargestellt" and "abgestellt", it is difficult to determine whether it is an "a" or a "d", but I notice that the "d" in some "der" of the text, is the same as in the start of the word "dargestellt". So?

Best regards,
Frederic

Hohlladung

Post by Hohlladung » 13 Apr 2020, 15:38

Frederic,

Due to Easter Holidays, I don't want to be "more papal than the Pope".
Take "dargestellt". With this handwriting hard to say.
For me only an insignificant detail and doesn't change the main context, which was the actual problem in the first place.

Best regards
Armin

Tredaou

Post by Tredaou » 13 Apr 2020, 16:08

Hallo Armin,

You are right, I know now what happened at the flying school on that day, so this subtlety regarding this word or that word is minor. By the way, you are now ready to read Assyrian cuneiform! :D

Once again, thank you for your assistance

Best regards,
Frederic

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”