Meaning of Russian phrase

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
Virginian

Meaning of Russian phrase

Post by Virginian » 16 Apr 2020, 20:09

I would like to ask what the exact meaning of 'для поручений' in the context of Soviet officer biographies. An example of its use would be 'Должности в РККА: для поручений при штабе инспекции при формировании Северного участка отрядов завесы ' Is this a synonym for 'в распоряжении' which I understand to mean 'at the disposal of', an officer temporarily at a unit headquarters to await another posting ?

GregSingh

Re: Meaning of Russian phrase

Post by GregSingh » 17 Apr 2020, 01:12

It really depends on context. Exact meaning could be для поручений = for errands/orders/tasks

Eg. Офицер для поручений при командире = Officer for errands by/under the commander = aide/assistant/adjutant/Ordonanzoffizier

Eugen Pinak

Post by Eugen Pinak » 17 Apr 2020, 09:44

Virginian wrote:
16 Apr 2020, 20:09
I would like to ask what the exact meaning of 'для поручений' in the context of Soviet officer biographies. An example of its use would be 'Должности в РККА: для поручений при штабе инспекции при формировании Северного участка отрядов завесы ' Is this a synonym for 'в распоряжении' which I understand to mean 'at the disposal of', an officer temporarily at a unit headquarters to await another posting ?
No. In Russian army "senior (or junior) officer for the [staff] duties" was a staff position in corps HQ and above, prescribed by TOE. At least position of senior officer for the [staff] duties could be filled only with officers of the General staff.
And i suspect, it was the same in early Soviet army.

Virginian

Post by Virginian » 17 Apr 2020, 13:02

Eugen Pinak wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 09:44
Virginian wrote:
16 Apr 2020, 20:09
No. In Russian army "senior (or junior) officer for the [staff] duties" was a staff position in corps HQ and above, prescribed by TOE. At least position of senior officer for the [staff] duties could be filled only with officers of the General staff.
And i suspect, it was the same in early Soviet army.
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense, especially sense this term pops up in biographies of General Staff officers. I'm glad I asked here since otherwise I would have mistranslated it.

Eugen Pinak

Post by Eugen Pinak » 17 Apr 2020, 13:34

Virginian wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 13:02
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense, especially sense this term pops up in biographies of General Staff officers. I'm glad I asked here since otherwise I would have mistranslated it.
You are welcome.
Actually, it was a surprise for me as well. Staff nomenclature of positions in old Russian army can be very confusing.

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”