Help with Russian

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section

Help with Russian

Post by Jeff Leach » 01 Jun 2020, 17:53

I have been looking at some documents related to the late war VVS and I have a question about the following table.

The column titles are

Forces
Crews: pilots, gunners (the units was equipped with Il-2s)
Planes (material forces): operational (repaired), non-operational (not repaired)
Воевых экипажеи (on the chart it looks like 'зкипажеи')

00000114c.jpg

What does Воевых экипажеи mean to a Russian? The translation in English would be about 'combat crew', which doesn't make any sense in the above table. Could it mean 'ground crew'. Usually, Soviet aviation divisions would report there strength as the number of operational aircraft in each regiment but sometimes you see the strength given as the number of Воевых экипажеи.

wwilson

Re: Help with Russian

Post by wwilson » 01 Jun 2020, 18:55

"экипаж" can also mean equipment. Perhaps it implies "equipped for combat"; that is, mission-capable.

ETA. Or perhaps it is a count of how many crews those units could muster, another limitation on how many aircraft could be simultaneously employed.

smetanin albert

Post by smetanin albert » 01 Jun 2020, 19:10

Боевых экипажей
God created the Internet, but devil created Darknet.

Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section

Post by Jeff Leach » 02 Jun 2020, 07:24

Thanks for the help. I remembered a good resource I had forgotten Linguee Context and one of the translations is 'armed and crewed (aircraft/helicopter)'. Looking through the statistics on the chart the only thing that would make much sense 'ordinance for so many aircraft'-

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”