Transliteration help needed (German)

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
Sam Wren

Transliteration help needed (German)

Post by Sam Wren » 30 Sep 2020, 01:49

The handwriting is not in Sütterlin (as a matter of fact, it is largely very similar to modern American cursive) but there is a word I can't make out and need help with it. I don't know if it is just a matter of crappy handwriting, an odd & unfamiliar writing style or just a word that I don't know & can find nowhere in any dictionaries or online.

The word in question is at the bottom under the "Tag, Stunde, Ort u. Art" section. It looks like "Ortsaisgang". Logically (to me) this should be "Ortsausgang" but it appears to clearly have "I" in the middle, dot and all. Any elucidation is greatly appreciated. By the way, for many cards of Panzer Lehr killed in action, the cards were filled out by the same person and this supposed "Ortsaisgang" is repeated on many cards.
49307_b_563_gb098_0001-00919.jpg

history1
Banned

Re: Transliteration help needed (German)

Post by history1 » 30 Sep 2020, 12:52

Hi Sam,

there is no doubt that it should read "Ortsausgang" as you mentioned. I wonder if the part "-ais-" was filled in by the original writer of the card? There are soo many differences one the entire card for my taste.
Compare eg. the letter "a" with the "a" in "gefallen" or "Panzer" in the last line. They don´t look identicaly.
On the other hand the text is very nice and easy to read:
" Holz Siegfri[e]d
25.12. 1923 - Hopfengarten - Bromberg
7. Komp. Panz. Lehr Regt. 130
Panz Ers. Abt. 5 Neuruppin - 705 - 3/Pz. Ers.Abt.10
"unreadable"
13.6.44 - Süd Ortsausgang Tilly
gefallen - Treffer im Panzer
6. lfd. Nr.9"
So this poor guy died at the age of twenty years when his tank was hit in the French village Tilly.
I had to look up on the Volksbund grave search what the unreadable rank is, it´s "Unteroffizier". The acronym looks like "Uofz" what is quite strange as they used usualy "Uffz". But it seems they had a different rank written there which they erased and corrected.

Maybe you can use in future also proper unit names instead the following?
"By the way, for many cards of PANZER LEHR killed in action"
Or do/would they use in the USA "By the way, for many cards of tank training killed in action.."?

Sam Wren

Re: Transliteration help needed (German)

Post by Sam Wren » 08 Oct 2020, 00:38

Thanks. As for "Panzer Lehr" it is short for "Panzer-Lehr-Division" and as far as I know my meaning has never before been misunderstood.

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”